Need Pictures of your 5.7 vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ta2ed Texan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just got a 97 tahoe, I took the old 350 and replaced it with a claimer motor. I have just about got everything back together and am ready to fire it up.. But I need to make sure I have everything where it is sposed to be. What I need is for some one to go out to their truck and take a few pictures of things like the vaccum lines (there is not many of them I just need to make sure I got it right as the haynes I havent really used does not have any kind of diagram) I need high resolution pics so I can zoom way in. Or if any one has any kind of diagram that will help me put this thing back together. Everyone is always so worried about the wiring harness when swapping out a motor.. That part is easy for me. What kills me is all these vacuum lines. there are 3 (i think) areas that I need pics of. I know the big port in the back of the upper intake manifold goes to the power booster. But there are other vaccum controlled things one on either side of the manifold that I need to figure out. I am not so much worried about the evap system right now.

So what do ya say any of you guys with 97ish tahoes feel like goin outside and taking pics of where your vaccum lines go. I could also use a pic of the water hoses to make sure I got those right. I know there is only like 4 or 5 but i would hate to ruin a 4000 dollar long block cause i didnt get something right. a couple good top down pics and maybe a few of random vaccum stuff would be excellent.. or like I said if any one has a diagram or something for the vacuum lines

Thank you in advance

Mike

---------- Post added at 02:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 PM ----------

i also need to figure out how these brackets that hold the wiring harness down go. I thought I would remember that but nope... so if ya could get a couple close up of those ones in the back I would appreciate it

OP
OP
T

Ta2ed Texan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
in this first pic I am pointing at one of the things I need to know where the lines go. I am pretty sure judging by the line that was attached to it that it goes to the evap canister. Now the one on the opposite side of the manifold I am at a loss. I have no idea where this one goes unless it simply goes to the PCV, which it might. Either way I would like to get a few high resolution pictures so I can make sure everything goes back to the way it was before I touched it both visually and mechanicly (vacuum stuff). I also threw in a couple pics of the motor for those of you who like looking at pretty engines. The paint is sort of a burnt orange metal flake engine paint. Its good to about 1000 degrees. While this engine looks nice in the pictures, they dont touch what this thing looks like in real life. As soon as the sun or any light hits it, it absolutly explodes. It was they called a claimer. The way it was explained to me is its a entry level drag motor. I figure that would only mean better more durable parts inside. It is my first totally new engine, I have never even had a new car. The newest vehicle I have ever owned was an 06 tundra in 2009 and it had 70+ thousand miles. This has 0 miles is built with comp cam. Double roller, all the good stuff. I got a dyno print out of this series of motor, the guy said they build them all to the exact same specs so they all have about the same output. The one they had the dyno print out on had 348 hp and 396 ftlbs torque I forget what the rpm was though. Naturally I asked plenty of questions, these numbers were achieved using a standard 4 bbl holley 750, perched ontop of a highrise intake and headers. I dont know what it will be in my truck with stock manifolds and fuel injection an all that, but I am hoping it will be about the same. I couldnt really imagine the carb doing better than the fuel injection system. Now the manifolds might hurt me a little bit, but so what I am not racing my 4x4 down the quarter mile just daily driving it. Has a mild cam with a somewhat smooth idle ( an employee had one in his z71 he let me hear) and I have true dual with flowmasters so I am hoping it will sound good. Sorry about the book on my motor, but I am super fired up on it, and the only person I really have to tell about it is my wife and she could care less... Everytime I get a little closer, or get something put on like the ps pump or something. I will take a pic of it, and send it to my wife... She has no idea what she is looking at haha.. I figure there is someone reading this right now that is wondering what exactly I put in. I know I could have got much more motor for 4 grand but I have a solid motor. The machine shop I purchased it from has been in business since 1959 so they aint goin no where. I wanted it somewhere local cause once I start driving this vehicle it will be my only transportation. I know what went into the motor, pistons, bearings, oil pump cam etc. and it has a good warranty, comparable to a oe warranty from GM. So if any thing ever happens (i will kill myself lol) I should be able to get it taken care of really quickly. I am sure anyone here who has got this far in my book of the orange engine willl definatly appreciate the appearance of this fine motor.. and yea I know it looks horrible with the old alternator and ac compressor and pulleys and stuff... but I am broke now after everything that stuff will come as I can afford. Eventually I am going to go with chrome valve covers, and I am converting the fuel injectionq

Attachments

• IMAG0175.jpg
    IMAG0175.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMAG0174.jpg
    IMAG0174.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 98
  • IMAG0165.jpg
    IMAG0165.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
look thru My bucket account has lots of pictures and I think you will notice you are missing some items.

Neat looking by the way.

http://s1222.photobucket.com/albums/dd482/Sunlitcomet/

meanwhile use this too:

Engine Side, RH

Powertrain Management
icon_note_blank.gif
Notes

Emission Hose Routing Diagram

Dalton916

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'll see if I can get you some pics, but for now, I think that first picture is where the vacuum line coming from the splitter on the coolant hoses going into the heater connects. I removed mine and plugged the vacuum line.

---------- Post added at 07:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

Dirty as hell, but I'm a surveyor so you'll just have to deal with it :D
100_1256.jpg

100_1255.jpg

100_1254.jpg

Not a ton of help, I'm sure, but hey, ya get what ya pay for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues