Sorry, another LED tail light installation thread...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

muddy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all,

Great site! Newb here, however I used the search, just didn't find what I needed.

I have an 03 Yukon. I installed the X3 LED tail lights in the correct order according to a write-up on this site. Reverse works. Running lights work. 3rd brake light works. But no brake lights from the tail lights when depressed. I did initially install them wrong and got the "rapid blinker" but have since fixed it.

Fuses under the hood and dash look to be good. Any ideas? I read somewhere maybe a "brake light switch"? If so, how do I repair/install this?

Thank you all.

ajaxnxs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
change the bulb position on the plug in. Put something heavy on the brakes with the original bulbs in and then turn on hazards. mark whats turn and all then remember the brakes are on top, then turn sig, then reverse on the leds.

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First I would check to see if you have power at the brake plug when the brakes are on before you go changing parts. And visually inspect each fuse as a good looking fuse can actually be bad.

OP
OP
M

muddy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you for your replies. Maybe this will help narrow it down:

I turned on the hazards which flash the middle section of both sides. Works. If I am correct, this is the turn signal section which in fact works when I flash the turn signals. Here's what puzzles me: When I arm the car with the fob, the top section of both sides actually light up. Isn't this the brake light portion? So if the LED's actually light up-- then they work-- so why aren't I getting anything when I press the pedal?

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went outside to check and You are correct. Fuses should all be good. Just to be sure, I'd install one of your stock tails back and see if you have the same problem. This may help to see if the problem is the lights or your truck.

robrr44

Reaction score
Thank you for your replies. Maybe this will help narrow it down:

I turned on the hazards which flash the middle section of both sides. Works. If I am correct, this is the turn signal section which in fact works when I flash the turn signals. Here's what puzzles me: When I arm the car with the fob, the top section of both sides actually light up. Isn't this the brake light portion? So if the LED's actually light up-- then they work-- so why aren't I getting anything when I press the pedal?

You are correct. I have the exact same lights and the top third of the lights is the brake lights, the middle third are the turn signals, and the bottom third are the reverse lights. I'd have to believe there is something wrong with the signal from your pedal to the brake lights considering they illuminate when arming the vehicle with the key fob. I would suggest like the previous post to re-install one OEM light and see what happens there. Good luck. Keep us posted.

05BlkDenali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i am having the same issue with my tails.... any update on where you ended up on this?

OP
OP
M

muddy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
At my wits end with this. Put back in factory tails to test and I was still getting nothing to the brake lights. So then I figured maybe it's the brake light switch. Just got back from replacing it and still nothing at the brake tail lights (3rd light still works). Re-checked any relevant fuses both under the hood and at the dash-- everything looks okay. Any ideas left? :pshyco:

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At my wits end with this. Put back in factory tails to test and I was still getting nothing to the brake lights. So then I figured maybe it's the brake light switch. Just got back from replacing it and still nothing at the brake tail lights (3rd light still works). Re-checked any relevant fuses both under the hood and at the dash-- everything looks okay. Any ideas left? :pshyco:

Check ALL of your fuses, Gm often times piggy backs circuits together on the same fuse but only labels a few of them!! Start pulling one by one and check to see if they are good!! Since your 3rd brake light works, then you know it's not your switch!

OP
OP
M

muddy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Check ALL of your fuses, Gm often times piggy backs circuits together on the same fuse but only labels a few of them!! Start pulling one by one and check to see if they are good!! Since your 3rd brake light works, then you know it's not your switch!

Thanks Rivieraracing. I'll go through them pretty much one by one and report back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011