steering gear box replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone have instructions for doing this? I am going to try and adjust my current one but I want to plan for the worst and see what's involved, looks easy but if anyone has done it please enlighten me to save me laying in the driveway for ever.

psfr311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if your looking to replace it and have a 4x4 without a lift goodluck. I was going to do mine myself but without a lift its nearly impossible. basically have to drop the front suspension out of the truck to replace it

psfr311

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you do it according to the haynes manual you need to remove the pitman arm also.
and if you didnt know the geaar box weighs about 30 pounds and is not fun to try to hold up above your hear while removing/installing

99Nali

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
+1 on the Pitman Arm removal from the center link first.

OP
OP
bowtiefreak

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The weight doesn't concern me, just the overall pain in the ass factor.

qukon 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i found this out !! When i replaced the pitman arm i got the
gear box out from the top and the sec time i got it out from the
bottom i was able to pull it over the main cross beam with no

problem this is the simpler way. and yes i have the 4wd and the
gearbox still had the pitmn arm still on with plenty of room to
pull it through.

Jaycenk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The reman boxes blow. I put in 2 different ones from the local parts stores and took them back out and put the stock one back in. Horbile rebuilds and I found out that they are all done by the same company and just labled different. I found the AGR steering box that gets rid of the EVO system or what ever it's called and uses a 2 speed varible box built right. Only problem is you have to replace the power steering pump at the same time and they are expensive. Last time I check it was around $350 for the box and $150 for the pump.
Here is the link [URL="http://www.agrperformance.com/GM-AGR-Performance-MB-Motorsports.htm"]http://www.agrperformance.com/GM-AGR-Performance-MB-Motorsports.htm[/URL] Just click at the top if you want 4x2 or 4x4

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had replaced mine as well. Three times, two remans and an AGR. I agree with Jaycenk, remans are not worth the hassle. Though mine is a 2wd it was a pretty straight forward removal/install. I did spend quite a bit of time uner it, hah. After the third time it was a breeze. Get under there first and get an idea of whats in store. This is when I'm glad to have a 2wd :)

Jaycenk,
What box are you reffering to? I have an AGR quick ratio gear and I dont remember it saying anything about removing any EVO. What is EVO any way, hah?
Any info would be much appreciated.
Thanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick