Squeaky noise coming from the outside of 2007 Escalade... what could it be?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, when I have the windows rolled down in my 07 Escalade, I can hear a squeaking noise as I am driving. Even at slow speeds I can hear it. I cannot hear it when the windows are rolled up so I know it's something on the outside. I've tried to search threads about this and some think it's the wheel bearings. Any idea's of what it could be guys? Thanks in advance!

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Definitely very well could be the wheel bearing(s). I had something very similar on my Burb with the passenger side. Put on a new hub (use Timken!!) and all is good now. It's a pretty simple fix to do if you have tools. The only thing I had to buy was a 36MM socket. I could have returned it and got my money back but I figured I might use it later on in the future so I just hung on to it.

OP
OP
felixgun

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah ok Thanks for the help Jacob! The noise is killing me so i'm definitely gonna bring it by the shop this week to see if it is for a fact the wheel bearings... Now to figure out which 1 of the 4 wheels it is... and if it's possibly more than 1...

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It could be more than one although mine was just the one and none of the others have started doing it yet and that was over a year ago :shrug: I think I finally located it by getting the burb up on jack stands and rotating the tires slowly. I knew it was the front so I had to check both. The one on the passenger side was rougher to turn than the left so that's the one I replaced. Luckily that fixed it :D When you take it out you can also tell because there bearing will have just the slightest bit of play in it to where a brand new one will not.

Anyhoot....probably more info than you were after but may have someone else later on down the road :shrug:

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably one of the gerbils in that 6.2 getting ready to keel over...

mike06train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it a steady squeak or does it change with suspension travel? The ball joints on the current platform can get dry and alittle rust inside even though they are sealed. They make a tool for getting grease into the joint.

OP
OP
felixgun

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be more than one although mine was just the one and none of the others have started doing it yet and that was over a year ago :shrug: I think I finally located it by getting the burb up on jack stands and rotating the tires slowly. I knew it was the front so I had to check both. The one on the passenger side was rougher to turn than the left so that's the one I replaced. Luckily that fixed it :D When you take it out you can also tell because there bearing will have just the slightest bit of play in it to where a brand new one will not.

Anyhoot....probably more info than you were after but may have someone else later on down the road :shrug:

Ahhh jacking it up and rotating the wheels manually... smart thinkin Jacob... I will have to try that myself this weekend! Thanks for your help brotha :Handshake:

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

Is it a steady squeak or does it change with suspension travel? The ball joints on the current platform can get dry and alittle rust inside even though they are sealed. They make a tool for getting grease into the joint.

I live in Lafayette, LA dubbed "the flat lands", because the whole f'n city is literally FLAT so I don't think it's the suspension as we were in a parking lot that was extremely flat. My gf met me at my office to eat lunch and when I was talking to my car in the parking lot, she drove in the Esky following me side by side so I could REALLY hear a LOT of squeaking as I was outside the vehicle and watching it roll less than 5mph. Funny i've never noticed this before but I guess I just don't ever have my windows down. I'm gonna have to go to AutoZone and ask them for this grease for the ball joints... maybe it's a rust issue...

---------- Post added at 04:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:09 PM ----------

Probably one of the gerbils in that 6.2 getting ready to keel over...

LOL didn't realize gerbils made a squeaking noise.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

edgaranah1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could also be ur brakes. Every brake pad has a metal object thingie that ones it hits the rotor it starts making noise as well. Its a warning mechanism that tells u to change pads. I know my kon was doing it when I changed them.

Sent from my iPhone 4g using Tapatalk

OP
OP
felixgun

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could also be ur brakes. Every brake pad has a metal object thingie that ones it hits the rotor it starts making noise as well. Its a warning mechanism that tells u to change pads. I know my kon was doing it when I changed them.

Sent from my iPhone 4g using Tapatalk

Hmmm... ok so ball joints, wheel bearings, or brakes... I'll have to check into all three of these things... thanks for the info Edgar! :Handshake:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Run4st