Anyone develop a good MIRROR CAP REMOVAL process?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I watched a paint/body buddy of mine mess with trying to get my mirror covers off a while ago. He got 'em off, but broke a tab or two. That was back on my last set of mirrors before each one got slammed, eventually...

So, I have some new painted covers that I want to put on, and I was wondering if anyone knows the BEST way to get these things off. Do you know the best tools to use? How about the best place to start? Any special technique? I don't want to break tabs and trash the existing caps.

Thanks, folks!

InTruckDesign

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Kirk, I have a mirror with the cap off of it and can take pics so you know where the clips are...Let me know and I'll grab some pics.

bigbluebowtie

Reaction score
Fold the mirror in against the body.
Give the cap a good whap with base of your palm just above the pivot area of the mirror.
This will dislodge the entire cover assembly (top and bottom halves).
Now you can see where the tabs are

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fold the mirror in against the body.
Give the cap a good whap with base of your palm just above the pivot area of the mirror.
This will dislodge the entire cover assembly (top and bottom halves).
Now you can see where the tabs are

Are you serious? If you are, and it won't hurt anything, then I'd give it a go...

InTruck -- I DO have the replacement caps sitting here, so, from that, I'll assume that I know where all of the tabs are. But, I guess I'm not completely sure where on the cap the best place to start is. Should you start at a certain edge? Do you start by pushing somewhere, or prying somewhere else? It seems that there's usually a trick to these things.

Thanks a lot for the offer to take pics. I think I just need the best starting point.

Sheriff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you serious? If you are, and it won't hurt anything, then I'd give it a go...

I think I would have to fold a towel up and put it between the mirror and door glass so as to absorb the impact. Because if something can go wrong and shatter the door glass..... it will go wrong!

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@kmel- are you going from chrome mirror caps to gloss black mirror caps?

Yep. Had them on the truck before I eventually got both mirrors smashed. I liked the look. (I had the lower chrome on them before, too.)

BigBlue -- now where, exactly, do you smack these things? Downward blow? Toward the window (on the side) blow? Interesting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigbluebowtie

Reaction score
just above the pivot or hinge of the mirror. on the vertical portion of the sharp body line of the upper cover
the direction of motion - with the mirror folded in - would be toward from the front to the rear of the truck.
in this warm weather this will dislodge both the upper and lower halves of the mirror cover together now you can see the retainers to seperate the halves.
reinstall the lower portion on the mirror.
then put on your new upper cover

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep. Had them on the truck before I eventually got both mirrors smashed. I liked the look. (I had the lower chrome on them before, too.)

BigBlue -- now where, exactly, do you smack these things? Downward blow? Toward the window (on the side) blow? Interesting...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ah ok yea I agreee. I don't like the chrome uppers as much as doing the color matched upper/chrome lower. The only thing that bothers me about the chrome lower stick ons is the L bracket isn't chrome and is unpainted black.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
korzone