Tuffy "Tactical Gear Security Drawer" . . . carpet color opinions wanted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

StevenFromTexas

Mr. Negative
Reaction score
Tuffy "Tactical Gear Security Drawer"

After spending waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much time checking into Tahoe cargo storage solutions, I've settled on a Tuffy Security Products Chevy Tahoe Tactical Gear Security Drawer ( http://www.tuffyproducts.com/p-309-...-hummer-h1-tactical-gear-security-drawer.aspx ). I think I've read about every post on about every product out there on the Internet, and I've settled on the Tuffy brand. Expensive? Yes, but it appears to be a great product from what I've been able to determine, and it will fit my exact needs/wants/expectations. I already contacted Tuffy, and plan to place my order on Tuesday, May 3, 2011. (By the way, the company is planning a pretty good price hike around May 15, 2011, as those commodity price increases are taking a toll on manufacturers of all types of products.)

The only decision I have left is the carpet color. I keep going around in circles between getting the outside, inside, and dividers carpeted in black, light gray, or charcoal gray. My 2010 Tahoe LTZ has a light titanium/dark titanium interior, which basically comes down to different shades of gray. The exterior is taupe gray metallic. So, I think any of the three colors would be just fine.

I know black looks great anywhere inside or outside my Tahoe, but it would probably heat things up quicker in the interior of the vehicle.

Light gray would probably not match the carpet or seat colors exactly, but come pretty close to one of the colors, I expect. It would probably be the worst color to deal with as far as cleaning would be concerned. I like light gray, but not enough to be swayed toward that color at this time.

Charcoal gray would probably be the best to deal with as far as cleaning, but I've seen so many shades of charcoal gray that I don't have a clue what shade Tuffy uses. My next door neighbor thinks charcoal gray would be the best color for my Tahoe.

Anyway, feel free to toss out your color preference. I am lost on this last bit of detail.

Last edited:

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The charcoal grey sounds fine, but if you prefer black, which I also do, I wouldn't worry too much about heat ... our rear windows/liftgates are pretty well tinted from stock, I can't imagine heat being an issue, at least no more that a Tahoe with a stock black interior.

11Burb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you look at the Truck Vault (even more expensive I think)?

OP
OP
StevenFromTexas

StevenFromTexas

Mr. Negative
Reaction score
The charcoal grey sounds fine, but if you prefer black, which I also do, I wouldn't worry too much about heat ... our rear windows/liftgates are pretty well tinted from stock, I can't imagine heat being an issue, at least no more that a Tahoe with a stock black interior.

O.K., black it is! The outside, inside, and dividers will all be carpeted in black. A very nice lady at Tuffy Security Products said charcoal gray would look great with my Tahoe color scheme, but she said black is what most go with if they get the security drawer carpeted.

After doing an about-face on my initial light gray preference, black and charcoal gray were about split-even choices with anyone I asked that had seen my Tahoe.

Now I'll have a good place to store stuff that I want to keep out of sight, especially when I go fishing. We Texans can never have enough space to store all of our guns. :gr_guns:

I'll post pictures after I get it delivered and installed in case some of you decide to spend money on something besides tires and wheels. :D

2005yukonxl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why dont ya just ask for a color sample of each one to see how far off? the gray would look good if it matched...but would look horrible if it didnt....the black will look decent as an alternative.

OP
OP
StevenFromTexas

StevenFromTexas

Mr. Negative
Reaction score
why dont ya just ask for a color sample of each one to see how far off? the gray would look good if it matched...but would look horrible if it didnt....the black will look decent as an alternative.

I thought about that, but I already have a black open-to-the-view-of-thieves storage unit back where my third-row seats used to be (I removed those seats as soon as I purchased the Tahoe, and have since thrown the seats away :Insane:), and I really like the black contrast with the different shades of gray real well.

Last edited:

11Burb

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Did you get the drawer installed? Any pics? How do you like it?

OP
OP
StevenFromTexas

StevenFromTexas

Mr. Negative
Reaction score
Did you get the drawer installed? Any pics? How do you like it?

It may be another two to three weeks before it is delivered to me. I had to take my turn in the production line. I promise I'll post pictures so others who are interested in the product can see what it looks like in a Tahoe!

OP
OP
StevenFromTexas

StevenFromTexas

Mr. Negative
Reaction score
I received the Tuffy Tactical Gear Security Drawer on Monday, June 6, 2011. Since I was at work, a retired neighbor signed for delivery and checked for any damage -- there was none, as the drawer was placed on a pallet, strapped down, covered with cardboard, plastic wrapped, and a nice foot high highly visible warning attached to the top of the drawer advising to stack NOTHING on top of the pallet :Big Laugh: -- before letting the driver leave.

I installed the drawer today, but I made two changes to the installation instructions. One, I purchased some 1" high lumber and cut it to fit the bottom of the frame and mounting brackets of the drawer. Two, this allowed me to pull the drawer, which is 12 inches high, about 3/4" farther toward the back of the vehicle so the drawer would not make contact with the backs of the second row bucket seats.

The installation took some time, but I'm done and I am truly impressed with the Tuffy Tactical Gear Security Drawer. I now have a highly functional Tahoe, and lots of space to keep stuff out of sight and locked up securely. Tuffy makes a first-class product, and I wish I had bitten the bullet earlier and made the purchase from them. Two thumbs up to Tuffy, cause that's all the thumbs I've got! And the product is made right here in the United States. :patriot:

I'm too damned tired to take any pictures right now. Maybe tomorrow, but I'll post something.

Last edited: