Coolant Leak from rear of engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wb22rules

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have had to park it is started to leak so bad, as soon as you start it steady flow from what appears to be the headgasket area at the rear of the motor.
Is there anything in the rear of the motor that would could leak coolant? I have checked the lines to the heatercore/cabin, but I cannot see exactly where it is leaking from, but I know of nothing else at the very rear of the engine that could leak coolant other than the headgasket. I did discover someone my wife took it to replaced the coolant cap with a 16lb cap, I think it should have a 15lb cap, but I wonder if that contributed to this leak I am chasing.

Anyone know what could leak coolant at the rear of the motor where there are no coolant lines? I guess it could be freeze plug back there, but it is impossible for me to actually see back there.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Freeze plug, I doubt it's intake gaskets all the way back there ... cracked head, cracked block, head gasket ...

oldsalt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More than likely it is your intake manifold gasket. You need to get a mirror and look back by the distributor to see if you have any coolant there.
There are a couple of freeze plugs on the back of the block. If it is one of these you will have water coming out the bottom of the bell housing because these are located behind the flywheel.
There are no plugs on the ends of the heads.The water ports are at the bottom of the cylinder so any leak from there you would see on the side of the motor.

Welcome to the forum.

OP
OP
W

wb22rules

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind welcome and the heads up. I am going to try to get a mirror and light on it tomorrow to see what is up.

Devious_Tahoe96

Mr. Budwieser
Reaction score
It sounds like its s freeze plug. Maybe a crack in the block by the water jackets due to heating and cooling fatigue.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now that I look at an intake gasket again you guys are probably right. I thought the intake ports were furthest back ...

sucp_0310_12_z+chevy_small_block_performance_parts+intake_gaskets.jpg

OP
OP
W

wb22rules

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have had the intake manifold gasket redone at about 110K, it now has 185k.
I got sidetracked last weekend when my son called to tell me his car had the oil pressure light come on and he shut it off. So hopefully in a week or so I can get back on the Yukon as I am elbow deep in a Subaru at the moment :banghead:

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard of issues using the wrong vortec gaskets and then having to be redone ...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cvaldez224