camshaft retard offset

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ryank99

Reaction score
ok, i dont want to but i'm taking my truck to have the camshaft retard offset done. i ran a p1345 code and it turned out that the distributor gears were worn so i replaced the distributor with a new billet one. both sensors are good btw. (thanks for the info on diagnosing that code sunlitcomet) anyway, the dealer over here said it will be $100 bucks to perform the procedure but wont gaurentee that the check engine light will go off. my concern is, how do i know they did the procedure and did it correctly?? i talked to 4 differrent service guys before i found one that actually seemed like he knew whet i was talking about :shocked:

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can do it yourself if you have access to a scanner. Also the scanner will tell you if the shop has done it correctly as well.

The instructions are as follows:
Setting Timing
Camshaft Retard Offset Test
The ignition timing cannot be adjusted. The distributor may need adjusting to prevent crossfire. To insure proper alignment of the distributor, perform the following:

With the ignition OFF, install a scan tool to the DLC.
Start the engine and bring to normal operating temperature.

Important
Cam Retard Offset reading will not be accurate below 1000 RPM

Increase engine speed to 1000 RPM.
Monitor the Cam Retard Offset.
If the Cam Retard indicates a value of 0° ± 2°, the distributor is properly adjusted.
If the Cam Retard does not indicate 0° ± 2°, the distributor must be adjusted.
Adjusting Camshaft Retard Offset

With the engine OFF, slightly loosen the distributor hold down bolt.
Important: Cam Retard Offset reading will not be accurate below 1000 RPM

Start the engine and raise engine speed to 1000 RPM.
Using a scan tool monitor Cam Retard Offset.
Rotate the distributor as follows:
To compensate for a negative reading, rotate the distributor in the counterclockwise direction.
To compensate for a positive reading, rotate the distributor in the clockwise direction.
Repeat step 4 until 0° ±2° is obtained.
Turn the ignition OFF.
Tighten the distributor hold-down bolt to 3N·m(25 lb. ft.).
Start the engine, raise engine speed to 1000 RPM and recheck Camshaft Retard Offset.

EDIT: Acording to this, you can't trust any timing readings under 1000rpm though.

OP
OP
R

ryank99

Reaction score
that was my original plan, to do it myself. i ordered a scanner but come to find out it doesnt read 'cam retard'. the scanners that do are pretty pricy.
($400+ from what i saw). the best i can come up with is just to go by how it starts and runs and of course, hope they dont screw me over

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Correction needed for info above. On the 1999 models rpm's must be raised to 2000 not 1000. Any scanner with enhanced GM perimiiters should be able to read cam retard and you don't need to spend $400. If you have the dealer do it you can use a sharpie or colored nail polish as a torque strip(aviation term). When i'm working on aircraft we use it to determine if hardware has been rotating loose warning us something is wrong. Thay should also wipe the code afterwards so if it comes back they missed something.

OP
OP
R

ryank99

Reaction score
i've used some orange stuff called torque seal when i installed gps tracking in vehicles, is was more for tamper evident. anyway, i called a buddy that owns a performance/custom chassis shop and he said he'll do it for me...freebie!
i

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i've used some orange stuff called torque seal when i installed gps tracking in vehicles, is was more for tamper evident. anyway, i called a buddy that owns a performance/custom chassis shop and he said he'll do it for me...freebie!
i

Did you talk to Manny?

OP
OP
R

ryank99

Reaction score
its been years since i've used that torque seal, but for some reason its one of things that got stuck in my head, maybe cuz i used it so much

jeff, yep i took it over to mannies shop, he had pacman take a look at it.
no bueno, still throwing a p1345 code:emotions122: i dropped it off to a master mechanic that i hooked with. he knew exactly what the code was and the procedures off the top off his head. so thats a good sign, i'm hoping he can clear it all up for me cuase i'm all out of ideas. its has new distributor,crankshaft sensor,camshaft sensor and i'm sure i stabbed the distributor right cuase it starts right up. im hoping that pacman might have over looked something when tring to zero out the cam retard

99Yukon_Z71

Crazy Puerto Rican
Reaction score
If you are close to Houston, I will take a look at it for you!

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

BTW, I advanced my timing 5 degrees to get a bit more power and throttle response. Truck runs awesome now!!! The light wont come on unless there is more than 10-12 degrees retarded or advanced IIRC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts