Backup camera installation help!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

boardrider05150

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a 2002 yukon xl. I did the double din coversion and installed a kenwood ddx616 with a backup camera. everything works but I do not know where to connect the purple/white wire (reverse camera trigger) to so that it can activate when put in reverse. If anyone as installed a backup cam on a 02 yukon/tahoe/xl/sub, i would greatly appreciate some help. please be detailed as much as possible. I will post pics of my install when completed. Thanks everyone.

steve

denalianyone

NYBlackLade08
Reaction score
Tap into the light green wire behind the dr. side window pillar the feeds from the backup mirror. Or tap into the lt. green from the trailer hitch wires.

Vincesrg03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What stereo harness did you use? I used the metra gmos-04 and it comes with the reverse trigger wire already. Brake wire and speed sense also. If you cant find it in the dash run a wire from the reverse light. You have to power the camera from there anyways, and run the video feed back to the head unit. Two birds with one stone. the reverse wire on the taillights is the light green wire. run it to the front under the sills and dash. Trucks are pretty easy to take apart. Just be careful when popping out the panels.

OP
OP
B

boardrider05150

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help. I will try it and see what happens.

@vincesrg03. I used the pac os-1 harness because i wanted to retain my chimes even though my onstar doesn't work. I did not connect the camera to the reverse light wire because i wanted the ability to have the camera on when not in reverse. there is a button on my kenwood unit that allows me to turn on the camera whenever. I assume that I would need power going to it in order to to that. If I connected it to the reverse wire, power would go to the camera only when shifted into reverse (please correct me if im wrong). anyways, so I wired the camera to my head unit so that there is power going to it when the headunit is on which will allow me to use the camera button whenever im driving. (good if I want to monitor what im trailering, or whatevers..haha)... So I will go a head and wire it the purple/white wire to the light green wire coming from the driver side door pillar to the backup mirror and see what happens

@denalianyone: when you say, "Tap into the light green wire behind the dr. side window pillar the feeds from the backup mirror. Or tap into the lt. green from the trailer hitch wires," are you talking about the wire that runs to the rearview mirror? if so, just curious, why that wire? Do you know what that mirror does when you put it into reverse?

Thanks for your guys' help. I will try your suggestions and post a follow up with pictures of my setup.

-Steve

Last edited:

Vincesrg03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My hu does not have that feature. It only triggers when i put in reverse. As far as wiring it, so you want it to work when in reverse and when you activate it. Im thinking you might need a relay. Thats because you need two sources of power( i would think). You dont want to wire it to a constant 12v, cuz the camera would always stay on. A relay would allow you to have it wired to the reverse light and power it when you want. Go on www.bcae1.com and it will explain how to wire a relay to two sources. Good info on car electronics on there. Hope it helps.:hands::Handshake:

GM Driver2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put a relay on it and you can turn it on whenever, i did this with my silverado. Could also connect it to your parking lights. Kinda fun to use that as your rear view mirrior :naughty:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17