Fuel Compensation Sensor - P0179 DTC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My '04 Yukon 5.3 Vortec, 171K miles is showing a DTC P0179, which is the Fuel Compensation Sensor.

The dealer replaced this sensor 3 years ago at 106K miles at a substantial cost ($1,000) when hard starting problems arose and the check engine light would not turn off.

About 3 weeks ago the check engine light came on, the engine started hard, and P0179 was the stored code. This was an isolated incident, and the light shut off. However, my scan tool shows P017 as a pending code. I am concerned that the sensor is acting up again, and I may experience the same issues as 3 years ago - frequent hard starts and the check engine light staying on.

My fuel filter was last replaced at 97K. Could this be the cause?

Has anyone else experienced this problem with this sensor? If so, how often have you replaced the sensor? Is there one available at a lower cost?

BOSS

The People's A D M I N
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd spend 20 on 2 cans of sea foam, put both cans in on half a tank. Then clear the code if it shos up. If that doesnt work, contact Blackbear Performance vendor on this board. Justin can the out that DTC and you can unplug the sensor.

Boss

OP
OP
S

Sky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply and suggestions.

OP
OP
S

Sky

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Fuel Compensation Sensor - P0179 DTC; Bypass Sensor by Point A Engineering

This is further to my post of 1/15/11. My Yukon now has 220,000 miles and the Check Engine Light is on more than off, with code P0179. I replaced the fuel filter twice since 2011, with no effect on the light/code. I still can not solve this problem. The Truck runs fine, but there is an occassional hard start, necessitating pressing down the gas pedal while cranking the engine.

There is a bypass available from Point A Engineering for $150. Has anyone tried this? What are the results?

Comments or advice is appreciated. Thanks for reading.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wbhidalgo17