HID newbie...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im going to get some HID headlights here in the near future and I was wondering what kit to get... I want to get it done right and I am just doing the low beams. I have heard that getting ballasts (spelling?) are the right way to go. What kit should I go with and what power? Thank you!

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
everyone seems to be really happy with the DDM Tuning kits, 35W.

i have the TYC HID's (ballasts built into the light mounts, clear housings with cut-off so you don't blind everyone in front of you, plug and play harness, whole kit) and love them to death.

grimm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, DDM would be the way to go if you want extreme value, but you'd have to figure out where/how you want to mount the ballasts (yeah you spelled that correctly :) ). You need the ballasts to use the kit. The ballasts are there to convert the electrical frequency to proper levels so as to excite the gasses in the bulb correctly. The DDM kit is pretty straightforward and you don't need to be an engineer to install them.

If you can find the TYC's that 96ProCompTahoe mentioned, go with those. Have heard nothing but good things about them.

OP
OP
raptorforme93

raptorforme93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive heard a lot of good things about the TYC lights so I would go with them. Do the ballasts require any fabrication to mount? Or can I use the light assemblies that I have now?

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Any body have experiences or pics of using ddm 35w 5k with blacked out halo crystal heads assy's from anzo. would like to do the hid thing but would like to black out the rest of the truck. or not blackout halo lenses unit if you think the light quality will diminsh. Still debating a functional use for the halo ring as well.

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
they dont sell the TYC with the hids and ballasts built it to them anymoreee :)

good think i pikced up a pair before they stpped making em

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they dont sell the TYC with the hids and ballasts built it to them anymoreee :)

good think i pikced up a pair before they stpped making em

really? glad i went ahead and picked mine up then. would have picked up 2 if i had known. (or more and then resold them at a profit :) )

AtomicHoe094

Atomichoe094
Reaction score
thats what im saying man, i picked up mine like a little less then a month before they stopped. got mine for i think 160 for the pair shipped.

i still contact the guy to see if they make em anymore to buy another set, but nope :(

im worried about someone smashing them or an accident, then my kickass lights are gone. lol atleast you have some protection to yours

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep