How to install HIDs as reverse lights into aftermarket Tails.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As the title says, I gave myself an early Christmas present. I saw the video of HID reverse bulbs HERE , and thought to myself, I said 'self, I want that!'.

So I ordered up a set of 5000K H11 35w from DDM Tuning. Cost about $80 after shipping, customs and currency conversion. Cheapest place to buy.

Then I took apart my stock taillight housing to discover that they used a circuit board that blocks access to the bulb holes. After removing the circuit board and rummaging through our auto shop bins, I found some new pigtails that would friction fit into the holes, but a test fit in the truck revealed that the pigtails were too long and prevented the taillight housing from fitting without cutting holes into the fender. I didn't want to do that. (I described that process HERE.) So I looked into aftermarket tails. I ended up buying some ANZO G2 LED tails.

What follows is a picture tutorial of my successful attempt to install HID's as reverse lights.
And I have to say, 'I LOVE IT!!!'. There is a warm up period, but it's short, and when they come on in full brightness, it's awesome. I can see when backing up!!!
Well worth the aggrevation, and $$$.

More pics of the install can be found HERE.

You will need some Q-Tips, some black GOOP, a Phillips screwdriver, and some black tape.

1. Drool over the drop dead Gorgousness of your new Taillights.
picture.jpg

2. Remove the electrical pins that go into the stock reverse bulb pigtail. Throw out extra bits that are removed here. We need those electric pins to power the HIDs.
Flip it over and drool some more.
picture.jpg
Twist the pigtail out from the taillight.
picture.jpg
Pull the bulb out. It comes straight out.
picture.jpg
Remove the inner socket from the pigtail, two clips and they pull out. I used forceps to pull them out.
picture.jpg
Remove the electrical connections, they just pull out now.
picture.jpg

3. Using the black GOOP, goop in the ballast to the rear of the taillight housing.
picture.jpg
picture.jpg

4. Get your HID bulb to look like this. Keep the plastic ring on, remove the rest of the plastic bits. Do not touch the bulb with your fingers.
picture.jpg
picture.jpg
picture.jpg
picture.jpg

5. Let things sit for 24hours.

6. Do the wiring. It's pretty easy, the DDM HID wiring is keyed so it can't be messed up. And the cool part is that the power leads from DDM kit match up with the power leads of the reverse bulb from ANZO. The only problem is that they are not covered and are bare, so I wrapped up mine good with black electrical tape. black goes to black, and blue goes to green. Can't mess it up and it works first try.

7. Install onto truck. I didn't have enough room for everything behind these lights. The black small box of the HID wiring had to be shoved into the existing hole in the fender with just the wires sticking out.

Sit back and enjoy the efforts of your hardwork!

Merry Christmas!!!

BTW, don't try to do what I did here first. I thought it would be a cool idea to reuse the ANZO stock pigtail, and then just pop the H11 bulb in that pigtail. I spent a night using a Dremel to drill out the center of the pigtail. And it worked! the h11 fit snugly into the Anzo pigtail. However, the resulting height made it stick out too far to fit on the truck. so I had to remove it, and start over.
picture.jpg

EDIT: To correct spelling and grammer mistakes.

Last edited:

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice install. Same process probly work on my nbs tahoe. Been thinking about doing this, since i got some bulbs and ballasts laying around doing nothing. But bulbs are 9006's. Might have to do like you and make them work...

good write up..

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pics of them on?? I have a pair of lights that look exactly like what you have and they are way brighter then my old ones ...

Brandon X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice writeup. However I can't see why someone would spend $80 just for some brighter reverse lights, but hey to each there own!

OP
OP
99Yuk

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback on the writeup. I often wonder if anyone reads these.:)
I can post up pics of them on. I will try for later tonight.

welcome to the bright side lol
It's nice being on the bright side. I've been on the dark side for too long. My wife likes em so much, that I'm gonna try doing her Jimmy.

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:01 PM ----------

Nice writeup. However I can't see why someone would spend $80 just for some brighter reverse lights, but hey to each there own!
Ya, I hmmd and hawwd too. It's only $35 for those in the lower side of the border. But everyone I show loves them, and wants some. My wife is on board so that's what matters. And I have to laugh, yesterday I blew out the low beam on my snowmachine. I looked and it's an H4 bulb. So I checked out DDM Tuning. sure enough, I can get a H4 hi/low bulb. I ordered a 8000K 55w H4 high/low bulb today, $90 for my frakkin snowmachine!!! I'm going HID happy, and I can't stop!!!!!!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
llujum