2dr 4x4 lowerd anyone????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

clean454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a 95 2dr 4x4 and i want it a few inches lower nothing to dramatic... anyone ever done it and how?!

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

if i did a axle flip kit in the rear, would it sit to low and id have to change the control arms in the front? if i get the 2-3 tortion keys

Whippled2dr

Stock
Reaction score
In the front you can use drop torsion keys to get 1"-3" adjustable. For the rear you can use a flip kit (will probably drop it 5"-6"), 3.5" drop leafs (mine dropped me 4.5"), or modify a 4dr tahoe shackle/hanger kit.

I didn't like the load capacity of the belltech drop leafs so I modified a DJM 4dr tahoe shackle hanger kit. It got me 4" drop and I can use my stock leafs. IMO it rides much better now than with the drop leafs.

I used the upper holes of the drop shackle and the barely cleared the fill hose. They have been on for a couple of months now and have had no issues.

First, I unscrewed the stock bolt holding on the driver's side hook in the back cargo area and replaced it with a M10 x 65mm 1.5 pitch bolt. I then used one of these clamps
http://www.fittingsandadapters.com/galsteelvind1.html
and put it around the vent tube next to the filler hose. I tightened it up with a M10 locknut until it lifted the hose up enough to barely clear the shackle.

I can't remember exactly but i believe two new holes were drilled into the frame and one new hole in the hanger (for each side). Then you had to massage the cabin floor a little to clear the hanger. The hardest part about this swap was getting the rivets out, what a pain.

Pics:
Shackles
IMG_0051.jpg
IMG_0043.jpg
IMG_0044.jpg
IMG_0045.jpg

Drop Hangers
IMG_0046.jpg
IMG_0048.jpg

OP
OP
C

clean454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks whippled this is some good info, i still tow with mine and i want a good strong leaf, so u just changed your keys for the front, and that's it? which keys did u use?

Whippled2dr

Stock
Reaction score
Belltech keys. They came in their kit for the 2dr tahoes but you can buy them seperately. I'm also using Belltech's Street Performace shocks which I like the best out of all that I've tried.

Belltech keys part# 3920

I have the torsion bar unloading tool so it made the job easier. The only problem I had was one of the torsion bars would budge (slide out of the key). Besides that, it was very easy and straight forward. Also I started out by using belltech's short bump stops for the front but decided to put the stock ones back in (trimmed a little bit though). I read that the bump stops on our trucks are part of the suspension, they somehow help with the spring rate of the torsion bars. They have to be kissing the stock bumpstops a little. It rides much better now.

Just look at how the stock stops are on you stock height truck. They are probably touching your lower control arms.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

clean454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can get the keys on summit racing or any other belltech dealer.

les schwab had them instock... got them i dont think they were the exact same as the ones u told me but they got the job done! and they came out pretty easy

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

clean454

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there a good was to drop the back with out having to swap out the leaf springs? can i just change the shackles or something? im trying not to go super exspensive, cuz im a addict i wont stop when it comes to my vehicles lol

Whippled2dr

Stock
Reaction score
is there a good was to drop the back with out having to swap out the leaf springs? can i just change the shackles or something? im trying not to go super exspensive, cuz im a addict i wont stop when it comes to my vehicles lol

If you want you can just do shackles and see if its enough drop. They are cheap and easy to do.

These are the ones on mine and will fit for sure doing the modification i mentioned above with the fuel filler hose.
http://www.stylintrucks.com/part.as...sults_trigger=&partfamilyid=5310&partid=12822

OP
OP
C

clean454

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts