How to Recharge your Air Conditioning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ravingmadman

Chief Knuckle Buster
Reaction score
We've had two threads on problematic A/C in the last couple days, and it is my belief that most A/C just needs a recharge, or it is an obvious problem, otherwise you need a shop to help you diagnose the problem. Not a whole lot of middle ground. If you want to understand how AC works, PM me, but this isn't the time/place. Here's how you do it, in really, really basic steps...

Go to Schucks and buy a really, really big can of 134a Refridgerant. You will need two big cans (at least) if your system is totally discharged. Get the one with the pistol grip, trigger, and pressure guage (like in the picture). It is reusable, so in the future if you're A/C isn't quite getting there, you can just buy a short bottle (like I did) and plus up your system.

Buy this:

Start your hoe, and turn the AC to max, if you have rear AC turn it to max too. Find the "low side service port" on the top of the engine (don't ask me, I'm not bankrupt:happy175:) here (click on the link- the arrow isn't really showing up in the thumbnail):

Unscrew the cap on it:

I recommend you put on some insulated gloves, because your hands will get cold coming up. Connect your bottle and hose thingy to it. It works like a regular high-pressure fitting like on an air compressor hose- pull the ring back, push the hose on the port until it clicks, then release the ring to lock the hose on the port. You will be able to read the AC system's pressure (or lack of) at this point. For about $20. :headbang:

As the pump cycles, you'll be able to watch the system charge and discharge on the pressure guage. The warning labels on the bottle are going to put the fear of the Holy Spirit into you warning you not to overcharge the system. I recommend you flagrantly disregard these warnings. Rock the bottle from upside down (12 o'clock) to it's side (3 o'clock) back and forth about every second, nice and gently. You'll feel the oil inside sloshing around. Pull the trigger on the bottle, and the pressure will drop to zero. Keep rocking the bottle back and forth so even amounts of gas and liquid enter the system.

Do this until your pressure is cycling in the blue range of the pressure gauge (25-45PSI) and/or your pump is staying on full time. I am not sure what the book says, but this is the point at which I stop, and get back in my hoe to enjoy the cool air.

Troubleshooting no pressure/no pump operation:
If your compressor isn't turning on, there's a safety that disables the pump if the pressure gets too low, so don't fret. When you connect the bottle up, and pull the trigger, when there's no pump operation, you'll develop really high pressure (150PSI+) until the system evens itself out. I had zero pressure, then put a 2-second burst in, not knowing any better, and my pressure spiked to about 150. I just kept adding though (i figured at least if something broke, I'd know what to fix, right?), and eventually the compressor started (that's a really good feeling) and the pressure immediately dropped. Then as the system filled, the needle fluctuated less and less with the pump cycles, until it was finally bouncing in the blue, and then staying pegged halfway between, with the compressor running 100% of the time. And some very cold air coming out.

Hope that helps!!! Best of luck!!:drunk:

Kjell

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok...your A/C will be cool!

If you want ice cold you will need to bring it to a shop and have them hook it up to the machine.

Vaccum from the machine sucks the 134 into the system.

MarkR

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok I decided to do this yesterday. My system was blowing at about 58-60 degrees. I filled mine per the chart on the can. It was over 100 in the garage so I filled to 55psi. Now the blower in the truck cycles high and low by it's self and it takes for ever to get to 65 degrees.

On a side note my compressor was making a loud rattling noise before I filled it. Now that noise is gone.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Mark

99KON22's

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
my ac blows hot in front and cold in the back.. cant figure out whats wrong please help

jrsavoie

Reaction score
We have several vehicles from a 1994 K3500 to a 1998 K2500 all converted to R134 a long time ago

How do we get these vehicles to blow ice cold?

We've had them to a few shops and invested quite a bit of money in them. They don't stay fixed and they haven't been ice cold in years.

I had an aftermarket AC put in a 1989 C2500 by Jack Stoltz in Springfield, Illinois in about 1991.

I don't even know if they are still there but they are about 3 hours away.

Is there a way to make these blow cold with R134?

Do to health reasons, I need cold air. For the same reason I can't afford new vehicles.

Thanks

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Did you flush the system of old oil and refrigerant? did you change all the seals and o-rings? Replace your accumulator? Did you evacuate them really well? As long as there are no leaks R-12 is more efficient at it job then r-134a.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonawhie61989