Yukon will turn over but won't crank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Hoss

Reaction score
Wife has been having problems past couple of weeks when she leaves for work and then again when she leaves work to come home with the truck cranking up. I only had a problem once and it just took a few seconds longer to crank up. This morning went to crank the truck up before she left and it won't crank. It turns over and it fired a few times but it won't crank up. I just replaced the fuel filter a month ago and it had been running for since then any idea what it could be? I am going to go check my wires here in a minute but just wanted to know what else it may be.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
while your in there pull the dist. cap/rotor and make sure its not corroded and arcing. happened to mine a couple times.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A Vehile will Crank all day since its needs Electricity to do so. For it to run you need Spark and Fuel. Check all those that imply to both! GL!

ff40

Broken Truck

Reaction score
What you are describing is EXACTLY what happened to me a few weeks ago.

Hoe has a new fuel pump now and starts great again!

It did that to me for about a week and half before the pump gave out completely.

I keyed the truck to on......hit the schrader valve on the gas line......it barely bubbled over. It should have hit the hood with 60psi of fuel.... (so be careful doing that)

Also.....I had some luck on its last few runs of keying the truck on and off three or four times 2 seconds apart to get it to start. Even that stopped owrking though.

Good Luck

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Big Hoss

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I went and checked the boot from the distributor cap and it has spark a friend had suggested doing that. I was afraid it was my fuel pump just was hoping it wasn't. How do I check to see if the fuel pump has gone out?

OP
OP
B

Big Hoss

Reaction score
Could it be anything else besides the fuel pump? It was firing yesterday a few times which to me says that it is getting fuel to the engine. Went to the store guy said to check the fuel injectors. Now my battery has gone dead dunno if that has anything to do with trying to crank it all day or it has to do with the reason it isn't cranking.

Broken Truck

Reaction score
Did you try pressing (carefully now) the schader valve to see if there is pressure? Make sure the engine isn;t hot. and catch what comes out.

Again...Mine slowly failed and sometimes worked like yours. Once I had the new one in......back to normal baby! Of course that was 300 bux and several hours, lots of cursing, a few bruised knuckles later....

OP
OP
B

Big Hoss

Reaction score
Alright. Took it to the shop,guy took the new fuel filter off its fine,checked fuel pressure around the 55 range its fine,sprayed some started fluid in it and it cranks right up. Won't crank up unless he sprays that in there and it was acting like it was running out of gas when they were trying to pull it into the shop. It has 3/4ths of a tank so not out of gas. He pulled 1 spark plug said it was at 75k supposed to be at 60k but said he doesn't think that's enough of a problem to have to make it not crank so tomorrow gonna go get new spark plugs and get him to install them since he has to take the old ones out anyways to do a compression test said he is going to test the fuel as well.

Broken Truck

Reaction score
Good luck.

Still sounds like my fuel pump problem...

For a few days I could get it going with starter fluid too. Then that stopped working.

But hopefully your problem is something much easier to deal with.

OP
OP
B

Big Hoss

Reaction score
Well bought spark plugs but of course that didn't work. I asked him have yall checked the timing he says no but it was sounding like the timing was jumping when we tried to crank it. Now I get pissed because they are idiots. Instead of seeing if the timing was off they dick around and don't check it so its going to be Monday before they get to it. If they can't get it fixed Monday I am gonna pay them what I owe them and get it cranked with starter fluid and take it somewhere else. I need my vehicle badly.

Broken Truck do you know if the fuel pump would still be putting out pressure even though it is broke?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt