DIY: 00-02 SUPER EASY 4-Lo/6-Hi Mod w/DRLs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ypsetihw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was inspired by the SUPER EASY 4-Hi Mod for 00-02 trucks and I wanted to get a 6-Hi going. At the same time, I wanted to do the DRL defeat. This version defeats normal DRLs, and ties the DRLs and lowbeams together, keeping them both illuminated when the headlights are ON, giving you 4-Lo and Upper 6-Hi for a nice look and great lighting.

Start by gathering some tools:
12-18ga wire
appropriately sized quick splicers
a terminal
some electrical tape
pliers
wire stripper/cutter

0_1-12.jpg

Remove the driver's side headlamp assembly by removing the two pins, just turn them 90 degrees and pull up, the headlight falls out.

Photo0359.jpg

Perform the normal SUPER EASY 4-Hi Mod by splicing a wire to the ground (yellow) of the low beam, and connecting it to the diagonal brace just in front of the battery with a terminal. Cover the crimping with electrical tape to identify the wire and help prevent corrosion. Torque the bolt.

The lowlamp splice:

0_1-8.jpg

and its ground:

0_1-9.jpg

You can stop here if you just want the normal 4-Hi mod with the Lo's and Hi's on together when the High is toggled. The next step lets you keep the DRLs on with the Lows and Highs, allowing for the 4-Lo/6-Hi mod.

Start by opening the relay junction cover under the hood and removing the 10A DRL fuse (Image shown with fuse already removed). This will defeat your DRLs. If you don't pull this fuse, the DRLs will work initially with the LO beams until you flash the high beams for the first time with the DRLs on, which will blow this fuse immediately. I didn't want my DRLs anyway, so it was just better to remove it altogether.

Photo0368.jpg

Pop out the lower DRL/Turn lamp assembly by pushing this clip and wiggling it out.

Photo0360.jpg

Attach a wire and quicksplice to the hotside of the highbeam assembly, the orange wire in the orange/purple pair on the highbeam of the driver's headlamp assembly.

Photo0361.jpg

And connect it to the dark blue (positive) wire for the DRLs. The negative is black, but I have red tape on mine in the photo.

Photo0362.jpg

Crack a :beer: and enjoy your work!

AHL and Headlights ON - 4-Lo:

Photo0363.jpg

High Beams ON - 6-Hi w/ DRLs:

Photo0364.jpg

Last edited:

JAToro78

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Work Great thanks for the directions. I also did the foglights to parking light mod (behind dash light blue to purple tap between light switch & Fog switch) . I just have to remember to never laeve my lights on, lol

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here's a link to the mod I used for the 4-hi, http://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=991 obviouslly a more difficult route, but what I wondered was if this method could be used to keep the DRL's on with everything else? Then if you could upgrade the DRL's you'd have even more light up front at night. Has anybody ever tried moding some standard low beams into the DRL's?

---------- Post added at 04:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

I'm a little slow, but why are the DRL's on with the low beams in the first pic, dont they go off when the lows come on, and with your mod arent they wired just to the highs?

Diggerdan11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
why did you splice wires? Does the Diode method not work on 00-02's?

I have the Hi 4 Mod on my Silverado SS, and the Hi 6 Mod on my Tahoe (Lows, Highs, Fogs) and love it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076