95 4x4 tranny problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jackalope

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My transmission is having problems upshifting from 2, and sometimes into OD.

It used to be an intermittent problem, when cold. Letting it warm up, and allowing the RPMs to drop would usually make the tranny "wake up" and start upshifting. Now it is doing it more often, even when fully warmed up. Now when I drive I have to hope it's going to upshift.

My dad seems to thinks it could be the 2-3 solenoid. I've been reading, and some people who have had similar problems have said their TPS sensor was out.

I don't have a CEL, and everything is working fine, idles right, speedo works, ABS works. is it still possible the transmission is throwing a code, even with no CEL?

How do I replace the solenoid? do I have to drop the transmission pan? If that is the problem, and I have to drop the pan, is there anything else I should do/replace while I have it down? The transmission has about 200K miles on it.

any ideas?

black95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it still possible the transmission is throwing a code, even with no CEL?
yes, light may not come on but codes can still be present.

do I have to drop the transmission pan?
yes, you have to drop the pan. then while your in there change the filter. takes 5 quarts of tranny fluid to refill it after pan drop/filter change

OP
OP
Jackalope

Jackalope

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
so if it is throwing a code, I should be able to get it checked at napa or autozone, with their obdI scanner, right?

also, while I'm down there, should I go ahead and swap in the vette servo? is it possible to order it from NAPA when i order the parts I'll need to fix the trann? (be it tps sensor or solenoid)

black95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i did the vette servo and my tranny has 247,000 miles on it. go for it, it firms up the shift a little. i dont know if they can order it but here is the link for the exact one i bought. total of $16 with shipping http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/700-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories.

as far as the scanner, i am pretty sure they can read it. i know for sure a snap-on scanner can be used because i use it for my truck which is a 95' obdI. good luck, hope you figure it out

OP
OP
Jackalope

Jackalope

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, the problem went away for a few months, but now it's back with a vengeance.

I should have fixed it then, but I had alot of thigns going on.

Now (with the exception of intermittently working a few days last week), the transmission will absolutely not shift to third.

I was reading that it could be the clutch packs.

If it were the clutch packs, and not the solenoids as I first expected, how would I know?

OP
OP
Jackalope

Jackalope

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Slip usually.

I don't have any experience with autotransmission slipping, I'm not sure what it would feel like.

But, using my imagination, it would be a bit like when the clutch is going out on a manual. The engine goes to a higher RPM, and the car doesn't propel like it should (feels almost like driving on ice, or something slipper), until the gear slowly "catches" and the RPMS drop down.

If that's accurate, then no, I've never felt any slip.

On the days it actually decides to act normal, it shifts just fine. Before, it was usually when cold that the thing wouldn't upshift. I could drive it for a bit, then let the rpms fall to idle, and when I gave it some throttle (still at speed), it'd go ahead and upshift.

Speedo works fine, BTW, so I wouldn't suspect my TPS sensor.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking at for troubleshooting this thing? I'd rather not just jump up and take it to a mechanic, I'd rather see if it's something I can figure out/fix on my own.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Willis12345