Nav Upgrade question by a Newbie.....Sorry

Which would you do? Same $

• Year specific OEM USB Nav (2011 Tahoe)

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • Kenwood DNX-571hd

Votes: 6 30.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mcimma

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tried the search function so if I missed it I apologize in advance...

I have a 2011 Tahoe LT w/factory Bose stereo (Bluetooth, steering wheel controls, USB in console, rear view mirror backup camera). Been wanting to upgrade to a touchscreen navigation/stereo unit. I've been checking out all you builds (which are killer by the way) and still can't figure out what's the best way to go...

Should I look for an OEM unit or get something like the Pioneer 8400 I've seen in a bunch if threads and use the gps through my iPhone 5...also, I'd like to add a roof mounted DVD at some point for the kiddos so not sure if that matters or if that'll be a totally separate unit...

I've also seen a lot of you installing the 2012 hard drive. Is that necessary for what I want or can I get an older version that will still allow me to utilize all my stock options?

Thanks in Advance...

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You first need to decide whether you want the stock look or aftermarket... then you can go in to options.

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've gone both routes and aftermarket is def the way to go. Some people are enjoying the newer 2012 HD based navigation units though... I never had one of those, I had the older disc based ones. 2012+ units have upgraded user interfaces and faster processors in them so they're much quicker. You can get either factory screen they'll both work on your vehicle. The newer ones will need some modification but it's been done plenty just do a quick search on the forum and you'll see a bunch of threads on it.

stephygee

Just Steph
Reaction score
Alpine has a new aftermarket OEM-type upgrade. A bit pricey, but it integrates all your vehicle's existing functions into a neat little setup. It's on my 'to do' upgrade for my 2007 AV.

Alpine X009-GM

x500X009GM-o_angle.jpg

OP
OP
M

mcimma

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You first need to decide whether you want the stock look or aftermarket... then you can go in to options.

I could go either way. As long as it looks like it belongs there...Reason I asked is because I saw your build with the Pioneer...Also wondering which is more cost effective? I unfortunately can only hide so much from the wifey...

OP
OP
M

mcimma

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is what I've come down to. Help me decide. Im down to 4 options.

1. Brand new OEM 2011 non-usb unit w/antenna, VSS & programming - 575.00
2. Practically used OEM 2011 USB w/same options as above - 875.00
3. New 2011 OEM USB unit w/same options - 1025.00
4. Kenwood DNX-571hd installed with all necessary interfaces to retain all factory options - 900.00

Thanks Again..

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will you want to go full blown system in the future? Subs door speakers eq Ect? This is a deciding factor.

OP
OP
M

mcimma

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will you want to go full blown system in the future? Subs door speakers eq Ect? This is a deciding factor.

not full blown just a rear dvd which I know the Kenwood will allow me to use as a dvd source with dual zones..

08grey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pm blkonblk. I think he can still get the 2013 navigations that will give you everything and I saw him mention in another thread the harness was on eBay for 100. That radio will leave you happy.

OP
OP
M

mcimma

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. I will....any thoughts on the Kenwood unit? The reason I ask is that it's in the budget. Anything 1k or over is out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442