Votes: 1 2.0%
  • 4L80E (Factory)

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • 4L80E (Built)

Votes: 2 4.1%
  • OTHER (Please comment)

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mister H12

Undercover Racecar
Reaction score
I may be sceptical.. but I don't trust my transmission (Factory 4L60E). I surely won't trust it when I start increasing power. Let me get some ideas of what you performance seekers have!

If you have a professionally built tranny, list the shop/company/person responsible!

Looking for pros and cons. If you've dyno'd, give us some numbers of what your tranny is being put through.

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't **** around, instantly swap in a 4l80, it will handle everything you will want.
If you stat making over 550/550 then get a spare and have it built. then skys the limit.

I don't care who built it or how they built it, a 4l60-70 is a time bomb. Its not if, its When will it blow and that "when" will be at the worst possible time.
Especially if you drive your ride like someone with a built engine should.

Last edited:

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a full Monster in a Box, I built it myself, and it will last for a very long time.

OP
OP
Mister H12

Mister H12

Undercover Racecar
Reaction score
Don't **** around, instantly swap in a 4l80, it will handle everything you will want.
If you stat making over 550/550 then get a spare and have it built. then skys the limit.

I don't care who built it or how they built it, a 4l60-70 is a time bomb. Its not if, its When will it blow and that "when" will be at the worst possible time.
Especially if you drive your ride like someone with a built engine should.

That pretty much sums up 99% of what I've read on transmissions, and its definitely what I've been planning on getting. I'd rather buy one costly 4L80E than a lot of cheap "built" 60s.

I just thought I'd get this out there for people's opinions and experiences.

Front Street

Reaction score
Great poll!
I'm looking at a Monster rebuild kit and have heard great things about them. I have the 4l65E and from what I've seen it's maybe $400-500 cheaper to build what I currently have rather than get a fully built one from them (4x4) that can take up to 500hp.

Long story short, I'm curious about the results. :)

OP
OP
Mister H12

Mister H12

Undercover Racecar
Reaction score
Great poll!
I'm looking at a Monster rebuild kit and have heard great things about them. I have the 4l65E and from what I've seen it's maybe $400-500 cheaper to build what I currently have rather than get a fully built one from them (4x4) that can take up to 500hp.

Long story short, I'm curious about the results. :)

Rebuild kits are always gonna be cheaper, but the thing about those is.. its only as good as the person rebuilding it. I most likely won't be doing mine. I'd say I'm mechanically enclined.. but transmission building is a ballgame I haven't played yet, atleast beyond transmission filter change.

Last edited:

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm rolling on my OEM 60e with vette servo and its tuned for faster shifting and the line pressure is turned up. I'm closing in on 100K with no problems. I also am at 430hp at the crank.

I will be building my transmission soon or swaping to an 80e

OP
OP
Mister H12

Mister H12

Undercover Racecar
Reaction score
I'm on a stock 60 right now, no mods. 147k and I wouldn't say there are any problems so far, but I've heard enough bad about their ability to handle power... and I haven't yet out grown the excessive lead foot stuff :driver:

Front Street

Reaction score
Rebuild kits are always gonna be cheaper, but the thing about those is.. its only as good as the person rebuilding it. I most likely won't be doing mine. I'd say I'm mechanically enclined.. but transmission building is a ballgame I haven't played yet, atleast beyond transmission filter change.

I agree, I won't be doing it myself, I'm going to be using an experienced race shop to do mine. But first I have to get engine mods figured out, then match with the tranny.

YukonXL04

The Riverboat
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Stock or built 4l80e ftw!

I have been through my fair share of 60's in a old blazer I had. If/when mine takes a dump it will get a 80 for sure. My old Sierra had 310k on its 80 without any problems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aray1288