What do you tow??? Lets see it! Travel Trailer and Toy Hauler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thumper_ehhhhh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is my setup.
Reese dual cam weight distrubution antisway. Up to 1200 lb tounge weight capacity. My tounge weight is sitting at 830 lbs. The trailer dry is 3800lbs loaded it's 5480 lbs max trailer towing weight is 7500 lbs. Truck 6580 fully loaded thats a full tank of fuel and 4 adults . gross combined is 12060 including 3 full propane tanks and a full fresh water tank. My max combined weight is 14000lbs. rear axle max is 4400 lbs without weight distrubution im sitting at 4460 lbs with weight distrubution im sitting at 3700 lbs.
Picture009.gif

Do not rely on the specs given by the rv dealers they are always wrong. ALWAYS.

jeff652

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
attachment.php

2001 'burban 8.1L Mated to a Crossroads Cruiser CT30BH via a Hensley Arrow. Above pic is at about 9500' elevation at Tioga pass.

FYI, Anyone thinking about towing a big trailer that is hitch mounted, I HIGHLY recommend the ProPride 3P (a new updated version of the Arrow) or a used Hensley Arrow (If you are on a budget). I am 16,000lbs fully wet and with my Hensley I can pass a semi at 70mph with one hand on the steering wheel and the trailer doesn't sway an inch.

DSC06083.jpg

thumper_ehhhhh

Full Access Member
Reaction score
attachment.php

2001 'burban 8.1L Mated to a Crossroads Cruiser CT30BH via a Hensley Arrow. Above pic is at about 9500' elevation at Tioga pass.

FYI, Anyone thinking about towing a big trailer that is hitch mounted, I HIGHLY recommend the ProPride 3P (a new updated version of the Arrow) or a used Hensley Arrow (If you are on a budget). I am 16,000lbs fully wet and with my Hensley I can pass a semi at 70mph with one hand on the steering wheel and the trailer doesn't sway an inch.

Man that is sweet. I knew i should have gone 2500 lol. Nice looking setup.

baron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just remember, it's not so much about pulling (maybe in stop and go traffic), it's really about stopping. Electronic brakes on the trailer are good if you are going to be pulling a really big load. Also, if it is something that you can arrange the load on (i.e. a trailer hauling a load, can't really do it with a boat or travel trailer) you can make a huge difference by arranging everything properly. I used to pull 10,000 lbs of stuff on a big, dually trailer using just a '99 Dodge Ram 1500. Got about 8 mpg on a good day, generally did around 600 miles a day, good thing gas was cheap back then. Granted, this was for work, I wouldn't recommend that with a personal truck w/o the proper suspension for it. As far as cooling, power, etc. it was fine. ebrakes got me stopped when I needed it.

Now that I have the Yukon, I am going to be looking for just a small, 14 foot or so utility trailer and a boat trailer to go pick up a fishing boat my grandpa is passing down to me. Probably won't break 3000 lbs towing with this thing ever, unless we move to a new house in the near future.

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i pull a 20' mako. if i had to guess with full fuel and trailer it probably at 4500-5000 lbs. thinking about getting helper bags. bounces an aweful lot on bridges. scary as hell. also need to move the boat back on the trailer a little. it will help. power wise, i throw it tow haul mode and drive like normal. i def notice the breaking but its bad at all.

RumorsOFsurF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I was a kid my Dad had a 26' Sea Ray Sundancer that weighed about 10,000lbs with the trailer. He towed it with a '74 1/2 ton short wide Chevy 4X4 on 33X12.50 BFG's. A scary ride, to say the least. :insane:

I'll see if I can find a pic. Currently, I only tow a 10' enclosed cargo trailer with my Yukon. Nothing too big. The wife and I want to buy a travel trailer, though.

low_psi

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I don't have a pic of it on the trailer, but here is a shot of my Velocity 260 that I tow.
inwater.jpg

Jsdevildog29

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just towed my 24ft utility trailer from San Diego ca to Powell wy. I will be setting out for Norfolk Va in a week or so. The truck and trailer not loaded weighs about 9000lbs. Loaded I'm about 17000lbs. I have weight distributing hitch and anti sway system. I also have bags in the rear coils. Pulls great. I have about 190000 miles on my 5.3 burb. Did slow down to around 45mph up the bigger grades. I have absolutely no sway. In fact te trailer and burb feel as though it's one unit, but I have my anti sway turned up. I also have a few other mods that may have helped my burb get this far. Also only dropped my rear about an inch.

Last edited:

Dannyo1973

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys. new to the group. I have an 06 Yukon xl 5.3. whats the max towing capacity. From what the RV guys said and what I've found on the net are different.

powerhaulic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just got back from Florida towing camper dry shipping wt. is #6880, have not weighed unit but #7800 is my estimate

Averaged 10.2mpg from Daytona to Adk. mts of NY

Attachments

• IMG_20150421_195647203_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20150421_195647203_HDR.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 47

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01