Just finished yukon xl 2500 w duramax and Allison

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dragracer637

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have about 1000 miles on the duramax and Allison conversion in my 2500 series yukon xl. I also swapped out the rear for the 14 bolt 11.5" full floater rear end. I put a complete BullyDog system on along with 4" exhaust. This thing is unbelievable fast!

attachment.php

The body coming off
attachment.php

6.0 l and 4l80 coming out
attachment.php

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tahoewhat

Ballin' on a Budget
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting.

Cant say I have seen someone take pics with the body off the frame. Bet it made the engine swap a heck of a lot easier.

Vids and pix a must you know. lol

OP
OP
dragracer637

dragracer637

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Removing the body is a must for this much work. There was very little that did not get changed in this project. All new shocks were installed, all fuel lines replaced with 1/2" supply line to the diesel, all new exhaust, added 1/2" pickup in the front tank for new diesel pickup, diesel fuel cooler installed, truck radiator, intercooler, transcooler, and condenser all replaced into the suburban chassis, tranny cross member modified to mount to the Allison, AC plumbing modified for the front and rear air conditioning, driveshaft had about 24" removed to fit the Yukon chassis.
We have about 150 hours into the conversion. I think it is well worth it.
I am getting nearly 20mpg and have towed over 10,000lbs with little ease!

Attachments

• IMG_0212.jpg
    IMG_0212.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0161.jpg
    IMG_0161.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 39
OP
OP
dragracer637

dragracer637

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Costs

Being from Michigan I bought the Yukon from a Toyota dealership in Texas. I did not want to spend this money and effort to convert a rusted SUV. I traded a lifted 78 Bronco for a 2002 GMC one ton with 97,000 miles that was hit in the rear. You need the entire truck to do this swap because you use so many small pieces.
I installed the diesel dash in my truck and added one wire for the waiting to start light, otherwise the SUV harness plugged into the truck dash and the gauges worked. Deep in the dash is the transfer case control module. I replaced the SUV with the truck because the trucks do not have an auto 4x4 option. But this required no wiring, unplug SUV module and plug in the truck module.
You need to install the truck gas because the diesel is a drive by wire, but 9 wire harness plugs into the pedal and into the diesel wiring harness.
Also modified a few wires for the cruise control.
All said I only needed to wire about 8 wires to make the this work. I went thru a relearn process with the key on and off for 30 minutes. This tells the BCM to search for a motor ecm. Primed the fuel system and she started up.

I also put new Bosch OEM injectors in the motor while the body was off.
Here is a video of truck starting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl9tYxdoIc4

Attachments

• IMG_0574[1].jpg
    IMG_0574[1].jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 31

SRTH8R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Very nice. Wish it was a option from the factory. I miss my duramax everyday. Fun to make sti kids want to go cut themselves for getting beat by a 7k lb pickup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaliRoyal