Starting to look at 2500 Series 4X4 Diesel

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sentry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have started to look at the 2500 Series 4X4 Diesel trucks.

Things I have not been able to figure out yet, that I have thought of so far...

Is 98 the last year for the Diesel?

Is it still an 8 lug pattern?

Can I run Bio Diesel in it?

t_bergman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1999 was the last year of diesel. Depending on if your looking into an 800 or 900 platform, both the 8.1l and 6.0l are proven pullers. If you're set on diesel there is a shop called duraburb which does the conversions and they seem to be very highly rated.

I can tell you the 2500's are hard to find, I looked for four months before finding mine with the miles and options I wanted. Good luck in your search.

Rangel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is a dealership by me that has an 08 suburban 2500 with 115k, I keep talking myself out of looking at it even though I want it.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the diesels they used weren't bad, they had injection pump issues and was costly to repair. Being a diesel guy, I wouldn't feel comfortable running Bio in the early GM diesels. In the Dmax you can run up to a B10 safely. The early 12v Cummins with the P pump would burn clean veggie oil after it was warmed up. I use to make my own Bio diesel and my truck exhaust would smell like french fries or chinese food, depending where I got my oil.

t_bergman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there is a dealership by me that has an 08 suburban 2500 with 115k, I keep talking myself out of looking at it even though I want it.

My best advice is to decide if you really want it or not. Rare doesn't begin to describe these vehicles, and with GM not having a current plan of what they are doing with them the value of each vehicle is going up.

OP
OP
S

Sentry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the diesels they used weren't bad, they had injection pump issues and was costly to repair. Being a diesel guy, I wouldn't feel comfortable running Bio in the early GM diesels. In the Dmax you can run up to a B10 safely. The early 12v Cummins with the P pump would burn clean veggie oil after it was warmed up. I use to make my own Bio diesel and my truck exhaust would smell like french fries or chinese food, depending where I got my oil.

So a stock 6.8 Diesel. Do not run bio diesel?

Friend and I have been looking at the Gas 2500s as well since its not easy to get the Diesel.

Both should be generally comparable in power and all right? I would prefer the diesel because you can store it longer without concern of deteriorating.

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You still need to run a good additive in your diesel. the main reason is for algae growth....Yes, algae. if you store it for a long time, it will be the diesels worst enemy. It will plug your filter, hurt your pump and cause havoc with the injectors. I would run a good filter system and extra lift pump, Something like an Air Dog or other brand. It will help in keeping the main injector pump fed with good clean fuel. Some of the diesel weren't turbo'd, they were N/A. I still think you can find kits for them, but the price might be prohibitive. Since the Dmax came out, the older diesels are getting very hard to find and sourcing good parts for them is also harder than for the Dmax. I have a Denali, and I have been thinking of a Dmax conversion for a long time. But it would be cheaper for me to go and find a nice 2500 club cab short box and put nice canopy on it. The early Dmax had some injector issues along with the injector pump. Again a good quality AirDog system would help extend the life of them. Also, there are just a bunch more parts and go fast goodies for the Dmax. Just food for thought.

OP
OP
S

Sentry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot... Something to consider... I appreciate your taking the time to put all that out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts