best upgrade on denali XL 6.0 for towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ridculous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys I'm looking for your best suggestions and upgrades on helping the denali tow better especially in the Rocky mountains 10,000 feet above sea level with a 34 feet travel trailer. I'm thinking...

Upgrade oil and trans cooler
Headers , cam , heads or vortech supercharger

What I would love is a diesel swap in the beast

Any advice is great

Last edited:

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The coolers are the big thing. Headers and cam are great but, do you need the power all the time or just when towing?
I would put a Magnacharger on it and free up the exhaust a bit. get a good tune. I say this because it will give you the extra power when you need it and still drive around with good manners.

OP
OP
Ridculous

Ridculous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any particular brand for the coolers? I'm being told get the ones rated for 40,000 are what I need

tjd3004

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The coolers are the big thing. Headers and cam are great but, do you need the power all the time or just when towing?
I would put a Magnacharger on it and free up the exhaust a bit. get a good tune. I say this because it will give you the extra power when you need it and still drive around with good manners.

I could be wrong but don't the Denalis already have a trans cooler from the factory?

OP
OP
Ridculous

Ridculous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They have both but pulling a 6800 lbs travel trailer with 4 adults,2 kids and 2 100 lbs dogs plus gear takestdoes push the truck when hauling it up 14k elevation 2x a year. Plus more cooling doesn't hurt.

Danzigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the Denali's does have a stock cooler. I put a fan in front of mine that is thermostatically operated and it works great, even pulling a 10k lb trailer

VikingTrad3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the Denali's does have a stock cooler. I put a fan in front of mine that is thermostatically operated and it works great, even pulling a 10k lb trailer

i am very new to owning a yuk xl denali but fwiw the previous owner on my 2006 was towing with his and he had an issue where the tranny fluid mixed with the engine coolant in the shared radiator that the oem trans cooler uses.

i actually don't know if this is true but its what he told me. he had a new rad, a new trans (trans overheated and toasted) and a new SEPERATE stand alone tranny cooler installed that sits just in front of the radiator at the bottom of the rad.

so perhaps you could look at the stand alone aftermarket type.

cheers, VikingTrad3r

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts