THe BlueOx - evoloution of a brute.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheWarBeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For those who haven't don't already know I am CTTANDY's brother. Older and better looking.

I have a scrap metal business and I use my trucks to work. So while my trucks aren't beautiful they are dependable and useful.

I have worn out 2 1/2 ton trucks and when this truce became available I jumped on it.

This will all be copy and paste till I get to something new.

Important numbers 1994 454 4l80e (rebuilt 500k ago) 2500 14 (bolt) 3.73 (g)80 4(wd) 160(K)

P6230001.jpg
P6230002.jpg
P6230003.jpg
P6230004.jpg
Yes the huge trailer is hooked to the LUV, it kept trying to wander off and I had to restrain it.
P6230005.jpg

P6230009.jpg
P6230010.jpg
P6230011.jpg
P6230012.jpg
It didn't even know that trailer was back there.
P6230013.jpg
Hood needs paint
P6230014.jpg

P6230015.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

PO stuck on stupid Z71 stickers they have to go
P6230016.jpg
Bubba approves
P6230018.jpg
Tiny rust spot
P6230021.jpg
Small dents
P6230023.jpg
Drivers door needs repainting too.
P6230024.jpg

Not going to do a whole lot to it. here is the list

Needs tires desperately.
The bucket seats have to go they are too soft and hurt my back. I have a set of 96 seats for it.
Side mirrors are crap and wont adjust - looking for a set of towing mirrors
Swap tach dash from WarBeast
Get a horn that can be heard
Install louder exhaust. I can't hear the truck run
Remove body lift
Paint hood and door
remove Z71 stickers
Tint windows
install center console
install radio
Install brake controller
Probably something else that I forgot.

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

Just got her back from the tint shop Got it 5% in the back and 35% up front with a 6 inch visor.

Also managed to find a set of H2 wheels that I swapped and traded for.
P6300002.jpg
P6300004.jpg
P6300003.jpg
Pic I took at Home Depot

vetburb.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:26 PM ----------

It has been a long hard day getting ready for the trip to Virginia. Had a long list of stuff that I needed to get done to the camper and truck to get them all ready. Had to rewire the camper plug which took wayyy too long and replace the tail lights ( sorry no pics).

Then had to replace the 7 pole plug on the truck because it was completely corroded.

Then the fun stuff
Jerked out the old buckets and stuck in a center console
P7020005.jpg
and buckets out of a 96 Tahoe. They aren't perfect, but my back thinks they are great. I will find some covers for them soon.
P7020007.jpg
Installed a brake controller
P7020011.jpg
and a stereo.
P7020006.jpg
Swapped the instrument panel for the one from the WarBeast and got rid of the knee banger tach.
P7020008.jpg
The old dash panel was cracked and broke so I stuck the grey one from the WarBeast in there for the time being. That is why some of the switch delete plates are black and not gray. I have another Panel somewhere I just didn't have time to dig it up today.
Now we just need to get up at the crack of early tomorrow and head north to VA.

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

I drove it about 400 miles to visit the mother-in-law with a 28 foot camper in tow. It tows like a locomotive and drinks like Lindsey Lohan. Not sure what kind of mileage I got because of the tire swap and not having things recalibrated yet. The dogs loved the open back, and the wife and I loved the AC. However, I do need to find some way to get more air circulating because the dogs were hot back there.
The seats were great. I didn't realize how much higher they sat until I drove all day looking through the tint strip on top of the windshield. I may have to have it cut back to 4 inches instead of 6.
I do miss cruise control, but I will live.
And after driving it about 250 miles the muffler got louder and deeper. I am guessing the exhaust is brand new and never got run in good. I did notice yesterday while I was under it that it has a 3 inch exhaust and factory manifolds.
Filling up on the way out
2011-07-03_07-47-07_846.jpg
At a rest stop somewhere in VA
2011-07-03_09-59-14_244.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

After pulling the camper to Virginia and basically guessing what was beside me I had to find some towing mirrors. Hopped on Ebay and found this set for $50. I guess no one wanted them because they are bright red. One tip got broken in transit. I will be using a bit of JB Weld on it later and painting them black. Then they get mounted on the truck tomorrow in place of the broken cracked non adjustable ones that are on it now.
P7110066.jpg
P7110065.jpg
P7110064.jpg
P7110063.jpg
P7110067.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:31 PM ----------

I got my towing mirrors on today. Had to enlarge the two bottom holes a bit and drill a new top hole and they fit great. It will be nice to see what is behind me.
2011-07-12_18-37-44_512.jpg
2011-07-12_18-37-52_417.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:32 PM ----------

I will try posting this again, Let's see what happens.

Took some time to finish up a few things today.
Put in another instrument panel with the correct mileage on it. Other one goes back in the WarBeast. Also painted the bezel so it isnt silver anymore.
P7180008.jpg
Painted glove box door and installed it for the complete blue and grey look.
P7180002.jpg
P7180005.jpg
Replaced this broken piece from under the steering column.
2011-07-14_19-35-32_665.jpg
Best little pneumatic screw gun I have ever had. Low torque so it is great on plastic parts.
P7180006.jpg
Took a few pics. Yes, the grass is tall. Parts for the mower are on order.
P7180011.jpg
P7180013.jpg
P7180014.jpg
P7180015.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

Doing a little work out on one of sheds today I found something I forgot I had. On overhead console complete with the correct screw and retainer clip. Wife did the awesome photography.P7190001.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:34 PM ----------

Made two minor changes today. The truck has not had an accessory position on the switch since I bought it. This week a guy contacted me looking for a steering wheel and I sold him the one that was on the truck. SO while I had it apart I put in a new lock cylinder and added a different wheel that I have had down in the building. Here is a crappy cell phone pic.
2012-01-07_16-20-38_470.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:35 PM ----------

Well to update this thread – the BlueOx ran into trouble. Last week we went to get a car and it barely made it home. It was missing and had no power, but true to her name she pulled on home. She was throwing codes for EGR, TPS, Knock sensor, and Low voltage on the fuel relay. So I replaced those ( and oddly enough it had good fuel pressure) and it was still missing. I pulled the distributor cap and the distributor was in pieces so I put a new one in. It still ran like crap. So I towed it up to a friends garage and let him have it. He checked everything I did and said it was all good. Then he checked compression and it was down on several cylinders. He pulled the intake He sent me this picture.
Pretzel.jpg
SO today he pulled the heads. They were frozen to the block. He got the bolts out and the heads refused to budge. At some point before I bought it this engine got real hot. I just went up and took him my life savings and took a couple of pictures.
P5100010.jpg
P5100011.jpg
P5100012.jpg
P5100013.jpg
6 valves are bent one is stuck. The drivers side head gasket was about to blow on all 4 cylinders and the back cylinder on the passengers side was only holding on my a prayer. But the block, and camshaft look perfect. It turns freely and neither the water or the oil were contaminated.

After a lengthy discussion with both him and the wife we decided that the smart money was to fix it since I couldn't buy another truck or even an engine for what the repair will cost. $1600 and it should run like new. I wasn't looking forward to having to put the WarBeast back together and work it again. She is old and tired I think that 400k miles is plenty on a work truck and she has earned her retirement. So by next week I will have the Blue ox back and she will be better than new.

TacHoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool truck and a great read! Thanks for sharing!

Keep us posted!

OP
OP
TheWarBeast

TheWarBeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok now not C&P stuff

In the past year she has had some ups and downs.

Got a dashmat for the cracked dash.
P8020001.jpg

About a month after I got the truck it rained and I needed 4wd to get it out of the yard. When I engaged it the front drive shaft decided to leave the truck. Fortunately it didn't do any major damage to the truck, but the drive shaft was now square so I had a 2 wheel drive for a while because no one could had a 3/4 ton drive shaft. PO had done some transmission work and only put one bolt back in the front shaft for some reason.

About 9 months ago I was pulling a Pontiac Firebird out of the woods using a long tow strap and a J hook. The J hook broke and it all came flying back to the truck at the speed of ouch. There was a big bang and then my back doors were redesigned.
acd236fd-2ba9-40f2-8c97-91a1dca22ed3_zpsbd9f8cd7.jpg
Fortunately I have a spare set of doors and a friend that owes me a paint job.

About 4 months back I had an odd electrical short. I searched and searched and couldn't figure it out. It seemed to move all over. So I took it to my biddy who is an electrical guru and he couldn't find it. We searched all over for a wiring diagram and no luck. His scanner kept telling us it was a ton of different things. None of which had any problems.

Finally his friend at a dealership came through. He called and asked if I was sure the truck was a 94. I am positive it is. He said what I had was a factory frankenstien 94 truck with a 95 transmission wired into a 94 wiring harness with some 95 only wiring. Once we had that all figured out and we looked at a 95 wiring diagram.

In 5 minutes we found this plug on the ignition wiring
2013-02-15_10-35-25_947_zps9a3a1407.jpg
Fixed everything. Since it was on top of the column we couldn't see it.

It has hauled a couple of things
Combine.jpg
P9141183-2.jpg
Had a nice chat with a Trooper
IMG_20130322_115204_196_zps8bc10268.jpg

And just last week my son was playing with a junk car in the field. He got stuck and I had to go pull him out of the weeds. On the way to him I hit the brakes when I got close planning to throw a cloud of dust into his window. However the wonderful antilock brakes decided that I didn't need to stop and released the brakes and I hit the car. :pokeowned:
2013-08-16_14-43-50_807_zpsb5e34c29.jpg
2013-08-16_14-43-40_805_zps407a8971.jpg
Fortunately I haven't cashed in that OIU fro paint yet.

Future stuff includes

Paint
Non dented doors and fenders
True dual exhaust
Front bumper/brush guard (already have one just don't have it on yet) with winch.
Rear winch.
Roof rack with lights (hate working in the dark)
backup lights
Onboard air
air horns
backup camera
Some sort of rear fan to pull the ac to the back. It has an aftermarker front only AC unit that is great if you are in the front seat. Not so good past that.
Third seat.
Built in toolbox.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to see you come over here, sir! :) Thanks for posting. I always enjoy seeing what you and andy do with your rigs :)

OP
OP
TheWarBeast

TheWarBeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jacob biggest thing I do with mine is drive the crap out of them. they have to earn their keep.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree. You definitely work them hard :) but you do the little things from time to time that usually peaks my interest :D Do you still have that square body burb?

OP
OP
TheWarBeast

TheWarBeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I still have old smokey. Just need time, finances, and weather to all come together at the same time.

OP
OP
TheWarBeast

TheWarBeast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well it has been an interesting couple of weeks.

About 2 weeks ago there was a bad crash in front of the house and one of the vehicles - a 2000 Cavalier – wound up in my ditch. There was a screaming child in the back seat. The driver was unconscious, and where we live it can be 30 minutes before help arrives. The drivers side was FUBAR (it was later opened with the Jaws of Life) and the passengers door wouldn't open because of how the car was sitting. SO I picked up the passengers side and opened the door and got the kid out.

No permanent injuries resulted from the wreck, the kid was fine, the father is a bit banged up, and the other driver didn't get a scratch on him.

The next morning I was a bit sore but I pushed on through it.

Well on Wednesday week before last we went up in the BlueOx to get a car. On the way up the transfer case decided to jump into Neutral. We figured that Heath had hit it playing in the truck so we stuck it back in gear and got the car.

On the way home it kept jumping into neutral. I finally put a ratchet strap fromt eh shifter to the back seat frame to hold it in gear to get home. IT didn't shift gears so much as it felt like the whole trcuk was being stomped by Godzilla when if shifted.

At home I found that the drivers side motor mount was broken and the transmission mount was completely collapsed. So it was a reasonable guess that they were the problem. Not so. When I drove it the transfer case was worse and this time it felt like Godzilla was spiking the truck over the goal line.

Let me go back about a year. This thing has had a weird shimmy/vibration in it at around 2200RPM that no one has been able to find. Many mechanics have tried. No one has succeeded.

After a call to a friend who owns a transmission shop, who confirmed my suspicions – the T-case was messed up, the wife and I got out and pulled the case. (In the process of stepped in a huge hole and thought I broke my ankle. I also started to have some groin pain) What we found was deplorable.

I bought this truck from a guy who runs a transmission shop in eastern NC who told me that he replaced the rear main seal. I don't remember the name or I would post it here to keep anyone else from using him.

Every bolt but one that related to the transfer case was finger tight. Yes you read that correctly, I took the case out without tools. Only the top bolt on the t case adapter was tightened. And it wasn't all that tight.

You may remember that I had to put a front drive shaft in this truck because it was only held in with one bolt. I now believe that he didn't forget to put them in, he left then loose and they all flung (flang? Flingided?) out on their own.

I used my mobile crane to put the t case in the back of the wife's S10. Then drove it up to Charlotte to drop if off. At the shop I picked the case up and sat it on the ground.

The next morning I felt like I had been stabbed in the groin.

I could barely stand. And by evening I was in the ER. No hernia, but I badly tore a groin muscle. Doc said that picking up the car started it and stepping in the hole finished it. SO I am on Demerol and not allowed to do anything but type long winded posts on forums.

No word back from the transmission shop yet but since he isn't charging me and I can't put it back in anyway who cares. These drugs are fun.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad you're at least drugged up :D Hopefully BlueOx isn't down for too long since you rely on that for work!