HELP ! Sounds like wheels are snapping off !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diggyd357

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My wife's 01 Yukon XL has had this extreme "popping sound " thats has progressively gotten worse. She has been backing out at the grocery store and thought she either ran over something or hit a buggy only to get out and fi.d there's nothing there. . As a passenger I've heard it a couple times, but I rarely drive it. I got in it this morning and "POW !!!! " it felt at sounded like a wheel just snapped off at the hub , but I saw nothing out of the ordinary. So I went to pull it back into the carport and POW !!! POW !! About every other rotation of the wheel it would pop again. Not like your pop from cv or ball joints (at least not like any Ive ever heard) , but a violent soun along qwith feeling like you ran over something. I can't pinpoint front or rear , left or right. My wife thi.ks front driver and I think somewhere on passenger. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. This is our main means of transportation and I need to fix it this weekend. I have a full suspension kit, but not about to rebuild entire suspension today...unless necessary. I would really like to narrow it down to the immediate cause of this problem. Thanks again for taking the time.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mileage? and I need more info You say suspension kit , Lift or Lowering?

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
i had a similer problem. Try lifting the front wheels. Grab wheel at the 9 and 4 oclock and 12 and 6 positons. Shake wheel back and forth. Does the wheel move? Mine did, Wheel hub totally shot.

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If he's getting that much noise then that wheel is ready to fall off,

Also check the Tie rod ends , One afternoon after a day out playing in the woods I got a Bad popping noise turned out to be the left outer tie rod lost a bushing (Don't ask I don't know)

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
i could be a lot of things. Broken Spring, broken swaybar link...

OP
OP
D

diggyd357

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
218K......just bought it 4 months ago. I bought a rebuild kit (control arms, balljoints, tierods, sway bar links, ect.) . I just haven't gotten around (had time) to do the work. I dont think bearings...no rubbing sound or wobble . It is one hell of a "pop". I got my wife to drive it past me and Im fairly certain its in the rear. It is strange...feels like youre running over simething. I've been at work all day so tomorrow Im gonna pull the wheels off and and examine the rear hubs. I GREATLY appreciate all the good advice...keep it coming and.Ill update tomorrow. Thanks again !!!

Sasquatch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you think it`s coming from the rear it may be that your locker is blown. They`re know to break on our trucks. Pop the rear diff cover off and check to see if everything looks ok.

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If the rear axle is popping around turns you likely have broken or shredded spider/side gears.

You're not in 4WD right?

OP
OP
D

diggyd357

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
No 4wd.... I was thinking differential, but.hoping not to hear that from any of.you lol.... It really does almost feel like a gear popping out in the rear end. I do almost all of my own work, but I've never tackled a transmission or differential.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu