HELP ! Sounds like wheels are snapping off !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
D

diggyd357

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have any of you rebuilt your.rear differential before ? If so, rate the difficulty on a scale of 1-10. 1 being an oil change and 10 being having to tow it into the dealer.

I'd also like to take a minute to say thanks. Being my first time on the site I was pleasantly surprised on the amount and quickness of responses. Not to mention I really think you guys nailed it. I frequent a similar site for BMW's that has saved me thousands in costly diagnostics andwalked me through some some extensive diy's that also saved me ....God knows how much. My point being, I understand and appreciate the value of what you all do here....our time is our most sacred resource and using it to help others is way underrated. Thanks again !

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
DIff rebuild is at least a 7 IMHO , but Ive only ever done it once and had no experience with it

suburbanguy89

Reaction score
if you do it right and know how to shim the gears properly to get the right mesh so it doesnt eat itself up being too tight, or strip out the gears from having too much play then go for it, last thing you want is to spend all that money on rebuilding the rear just to have it detonate on you. id say have a professional change out the gears but check for any irregularities yourself

magicbus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think this has been mentioned yet, but check your u-joints before you spend too much. If you rebuild the diff you will want new u-joints anyway, starting there may fix the issue and save some coin.

DCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought there was some type of suspension recall. Call your dealer with your VIN.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic