Looking to go from Hoe to Avalanche

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AZ Iron

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have an 05 Tahoe with 105K miles that I just inherited from my wife. It's great, no issues and paid for. However, I have been in and out of trucks and am looking to get back in. I've decided if I pull the trigger the Avalanche (2007-2011) may be the way to go. I look at as the best of both worlds, my Tahoe with a truck bed. Anyone been in a similar situation and why did you choose what you did? The biggest thing I have going is I'm the original owner of a no issues, paid for Tahoe. Any input appreciated (as well as years I should choose, stay away from)...

RFoster130

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just did the opposite switch, so i can compare the 2 pretty easy. I had a 2005 Avalanche Z71 with only 59,000 miles on it. I loved the truck. My main reason for the switch is because I have 2 small kids...more about that in a minute.

First off, the Avalanche, is more than capable as a truck. Many "Truck" guys look down on Avy owners like you don't have a real truck. The cab is just like any other crew cab truck. The bed allows you to do a lot of different things. Ivd had many different chevy trucks, and out of all of them, the AVY was the best. Sure the bed is a little short, but how often do people really need an 8 ft bed. For those few times you need it, just fold the mid gate down and you can fit longer stuff in. The covered bed with locking tailgate gives you so much room for cargo. With the bed covers off, the truck is a beast and can haul anything. I once put 40 bags of mulch in the bed and it barely squatted. It never got stuck anywhere and made an awesome truck.

The Avy could easily seat 5 people and had tons of cargo room that was dry and lockable. The reason I had to get something bigger is because of the configuration of the back seat. I have an 8 month old and a 2 and a half year old. Both in car seats of course. My oldest daughter sat behind the passenger seat, the baby was in a carry type car seat with the base mounted in the middle. The AVY does not have the car seat hooks behind the driver seat. So to use 2 car seats, they have to go side by side. It works fine for now, but when the baby moves to a bigger seat in a couple months, they won't fit next to each other. So i decided tp upgrade to the Tahoe. One the Avy, even with the 2 car seats side by side, i could still get an adult passenger in the back behind the driver. So I could take 3 adults, 2 kids and TONS of cargo on a long drive vacation.

Now the Tahoe.....I opted for the 2nd row bucket seats. SO, now I have room for 2 front adults, both kids, and realistically, 1 adult in the 3rd row. That then leaves me almost zero cargo area. With the 3rd row being used, i can't even fit a stroller in. In all honesty, i had a ton more room in the AVY, and could still put 5 people in it. The Tahoe with 5 people has no room for anything else.

I really like our new tahoe and it is great for the family, but i really miss the Avy. Go for it, you won't regret it.

Last edited:

felixgun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went from an 08 Tahoe LTZ to an 07 Avalanche LTZ. The reason was I wanted the same interior space but with a truck bed (for work). The interior for me was literally identical (except 2nd row bench instead of a captains chairs). The only downside is there is more "modding" you can do with Tahoe.

2011Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Me and my wife went for the benchseat instead of captains (which we were stuck on having) just for that reason of having the ability to haul 3 adults and our kids. You may look into buying a benchseat from somewhere or trading someone for now to give you the same room you use to have with the 3rd row out. I possibly may look at doing captains later on when our kids are older.

Intimidator3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2010 Avy and 2011 Tahoe with 2 year old twins. I don't use the Avy for work (more for general use and tailgating). If I was forced to sell one of them, it would be the Tahoe. I absolutely love the tahoe but the Avy makes so much more sense. The second row fits two car seats side by side and still fits an adult. Plus you have a ton of storage. We just went on vacation and I took the avalanche.

If you get a Tahoe with a bench, I'm not sure if you can access the third row if you have two car seats in. Someone will have to confirm that but that's why I got captains (not to mention its almost impossible to find an ltz with a bench).

Side note - the only thing you can't do with an Avy is get a load of mulch dumped in the bed.

OP
OP
A

AZ Iron

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. My kids are 6 and 10 therefore no issue with car seats. I guess I'm weighing the 3rd row vs truck bed. I think having owned both types I used the bed of my truck more than the 3rd row. Now....the 4wd vs 2d locking rear diff???? My hoe has 4wd, never used it by like the saying goes, nice to have if you need it... On to a test drive.

2011Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3rd row in a tahoe is pretty much worthless unless your a midget. There isnt any leg room, even for kids and if you do squish someone back there, hopefully your not taking any luggage. Our stroller doesnt fit behind our 3rd row. I say suburban FTW!

OP
OP
A

AZ Iron

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I appreciate the input. I have a Tahoe, just trying to compare the differences between it and the Avalanche. The Tahoe, bench seat and third row have served my purposes, don't need a Suburban. Again, Tahoe vs Avalanche...

99_Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have gotten an avalanche for the wife but we have the two kids like many other responses on here as well as 2 dogs. So the Tahoe for her was the better option. Can still keep the kids in the second row and dogs and gear in the cargo area.

Intimidator3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I had kids that were 6 and 10, I'd go with the Avy. Unless you frequently use the third row of the Tahoe, the Avy makes more sense. With kids at that age, the truck bed will probably be more useful. My kids are only 2 now, but I can see myself using the Avy for their sports equipment, skiing, fishing, etc. With that being said, it's nice not to have a car payment...

I fell in love with my Avy, so I may be biased.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PascalBlues