I want to black out all m chrome

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NJgunner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys im new to the site, I have a '10 Hoe LTZ I have chrome grille, mirror caps door handles and panel bars on the doors....What is my best option to blackout some of these? I was going to start with the grille and wasnt sure if I could get it painted or buy an aftermarket one....perhaps a black metal grille would be good? Also can anyone provide links on how to remove the grill or links to reputable sites that I could buy a newone? thanks in advance

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, there's certainly folks here who will gladly buy all your chrome stuff if you're reasonable with asking price ... just be careful when you remove the door moldings so as not to bend them too much or else they will become useless. You can usually purchase the non chrome version of all the handles, door moldings (will have to have them painted), grille, mirror caps, on ebay for much less than the dealer sells them.

Best way to find the part numbers is to go to a dealer lot, find a black LT, write down the VIN, and go to the parts dept. to ask for the part numbers.

The rear bumper chrome is going to be a little harder because they don't make a non chrome step pad molding for the LTZ bumper. So you either have to swap for an LT bumper assy & step pad, or have the chrome strip painted or plasti-dipped.

I'm not sure how one gets the front grille surround blacked out ... there may be a black version of it, or more likely, you will also have to have that painted.

AMI All Sales make the black bowties I have on.

Hopefully this is enough to get you started ... if you need specific part numbers I'm happy to try to track them down.

And welcome to TYF. :)

OP
OP
N

NJgunner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks man, your car looks tight! I guess I will start with the grille its probably cheapest to try and take it off and bring it to a shop and have painted right? Im not sure how they would do it because im pretty sure its plastic...ill check that website you mentioned for aftermarket grills....what website can i get the black chevy emblym andhow much are they? a ***** to install?

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I paid around $90-100 shipped for them.
The front has two screws behind the grille and the back is adhesive.
Pretty easy install on both.

---------- Post added at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:59 AM ----------

And just get the oem black grille ... it looks like this on TYF member modded's truck:

2011-06-17_20-40-44_695.jpg

OP
OP
N

NJgunner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
OEM BLACK GRILL? as in buy a black grill from dealer? I had the LTZ stock chrome grill wouldnt it be easier/cheaper to just have it painted? where could I buy a stock black one?

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup oem black grille ... but don't buy it from the dealer.
Either on ebay or there's usually someone here selling theirs, or wanting to trade to a chrome one. You can certainly buy the black one and sell yours for more than you paid for the black one.

OP
OP
N

NJgunner

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks man can you post a link or the name of the one you bought also how much u paid? I like your setup but for my truck I want the outline pieces of grill black also so would painting it be a better option?

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well my grille is chrome/steel mesh ... are you talking about my black emblems?

If so it's AMI All Sales part no. 96108K

Here's a set at a decent price: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-1...cmdZViewItemQQitemZ110740648356#ht_3449wt_956

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:45 PM ----------

The gm part nos. for the black grilles are 20831378 and 15835084.

But if you're going to have the chrome surround painted anyway, I guess it makes sense to just paint your entire lower/upper grille assy.

yates ™

Resident Apple hater
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You may have trouble with durability of paint sticking to the chrome but if you know of a good paint guy it may be the better option.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The GM part nos. for the non chrome door moldings are:

And these will have to be painted as well ... if your Tahoe is the regular (onyx) black your paint code is 41U ... not sure what it is for the black granite version.

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:56 PM ----------

I can try to track down the part nos for the painted handles but there's always a few sets for sale on ebay or CL ... like this one: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2007...Accessories&hash=item2c5f726fca#ht_500wt_1182

Although you shouldn't have to pay much more than $100-120 for a used set in good condition.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne