How to reset the "change oil" message

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RANNE1965

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
HI everybody ,SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH BECAUSE I AM A FRENCH OWNER'S TAHOE OF 2001;DOES SOMEBODY KNOW HOW TO RESET THE "CHANGE OIL" MESSAGE ?I TRIED BY PUSHING FULLY THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL THREE TIMES WITH THE KEY ON RUN POSITION ,BUT UNFORTUNATELY THIS MESSAGE STILL CAME BACK.THANKS

l2yan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HI everybody ,SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH BECAUSE I AM A FRENCH OWNER'S TAHOE OF 2001;DOES SOMEBODY KNOW HOW TO RESET THE "CHANGE OIL" MESSAGE ?I TRIED BY PUSHING FULLY THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL THREE TIMES WITH THE KEY ON RUN POSITION ,BUT UNFORTUNATELY THIS MESSAGE STILL CAME BACK.THANKS

You press it I think 5 times. You hear a chime or something if I remember right. I had to do it several times before it worked.

DenaliAK

Colder than you
Reaction score
Hahaha...that is bizarre.

Although I think my old Subaru has the winner for most difficult to accomplish. To completely turn the door chime off, you had to put the key in, turn to "on", then insert the driver's seat belt and release it 25 times...it was ridiculous. And it usually took three or four tries....so you'd look really freakin' silly in the process.

:)

chauncey0337

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2000 nbs tahoe and here's how I do it- actually these are the instructions that came with my truck. Usually my 'change oil' light goes off after I get my oil changed.
-turn ignition on but do not start
-fully depress and release accelerator pedal 3 times WITHIN 5 SECONDS
-if oil change lamp flashes for 5 seconds, this indicates system has been reset
-start engine, oil life should reset to 100%
-repeat if necessary

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
:waytogo: way to go buddy :D

dropmech

Puddle Pirate
Reaction score
I know you did it already, but all you have to do is hold down the arrow button on the steering wheel for like 7 seconds. None of that pedal nonsense.

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't believe 01's had the arrow button on the steering wheel :shrug: I know that my 02 Sierra required the same steps as above due to no arrow button like they have now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645