Transmission Problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DangerGirl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2005 4x4 Yukon is having major issues! When the engine is cold it seems ok but once it heats up the RPMs go crazy. Meaning, when I am going 40mph the RPMs are between 6 and 7. I went ahead and changed the fluid, wishful thinking I suppose, but it didn't help. I have been told it needs a new transmission or it's something with the exhaust or it could be a shifting mechanism. I am so utterly confused. I can not get it to throw any codes and am hesitant to drive it anywhere unless I am driving it to get it fixed. Any advice for me? This is driving me crazy!!! I am needing my truck back so I can go on a long road trip this summer so I want to make sure I get this fixed right.

Also, I called around and found a shop who will rebuild the tranny for $1150, is that a fair price? Does transmission work usually come with a warranty?

swtz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a decent price, but you want to find out what they are going to do exactly and if they are replacing the torque converter as well.
They usually have a 1 year 12,000 mile warranty.

dwmmatt23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You say when your going 40 your rpms are between 6k and 7k? So I would assume it is not shifting properly. Save yourself the headache of going through everything it could be and spend an hour or two shop time at a reputable mechanic or stealership to properly diagnose the problem, ususally money well spent if its something that can be fixed easily rather than a complete rebuild

grayhoe00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would say its a shift solenoid but those normally produce a engine code.

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yep, have many shops look, looking is free. But find a GOOD shop to do the tranny, and one that stands behind their work at LEAST a year. Mine was $1500, taken out, rebuilt and reinstalled.

Good luck.

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
as said above, find a reputable shop, preferably a place that locals recommend. Also, don't ask them to quote a transmission rebuild, the transmission might not be bad. Not all the time, but if you get a dishonest person and you are talking like you know the transmission is shot, he might not be so inclined to tell you it is something much cheaper like a shift solenoid. Just tell them to test drive it, and give you a quote for what is going to fix the problem. If you are unsure, always let them diagnose, that way if what they tell you doesn't fix the problem, they are on the hook.

Good luck!

Gordy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2005 4x4 Yukon is having major issues! When the engine is cold it seems ok but once it heats up the RPMs go crazy. Meaning, when I am going 40mph the RPMs are between 6 and 7. I went ahead and changed the fluid, wishful thinking I suppose, but it didn't help. I have been told it needs a new transmission or it's something with the exhaust or it could be a shifting mechanism. I am so utterly confused. I can not get it to throw any codes and am hesitant to drive it anywhere unless I am driving it to get it fixed. Any advice for me? This is driving me crazy!!! I am needing my truck back so I can go on a long road trip this summer so I want to make sure I get this fixed right.

Also, I called around and found a shop who will rebuild the tranny for $1150, is that a fair price? Does transmission work usually come with a warranty?

Danielle,

Did you notice if the transmission had been acting up before this incident? Usually transmissions start to shift funny for a while before really going bad. How many miles are on the vehicle? Did you own the vehicle since new? Do you pull trailers? Have you noticed red oil spots on the drive way?

I ask these questions because I have an 01 with 125000 miles trans is still great. Any car now days should get at least 100000 mile out of a trans with normal use, and half ass maintanence.

Where ever you go to get it looked at give minimal info on whats wrong. Just tell them the basics. Listen to what they have to say, and come back here to get opinions. To many women get taken advantage of by shops because they are women, and it pisses me off. I use to see women at lube pros get told they need air filters, and engine flushes other exotic treatments. If they happend to look at me I always shake my head no.

Gordy

Last edited:

Jay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I noticed you didn't mention anything about shifting... are the shifts delayed/abrupt/harsh? What about soft or slushy? Do you ever feel a shift at all going from a stop to, say, 60mph?

The reason I ask is because the computer will never let the trans hold a gear at 6-700rpm (much less 6-7k) at that speed. And I can't think of anything mechanical/hydraulic that would let it stay there with varying throttle inputs.

Which suggests another thing: the tachometer motor in the gauge cluster could be dying. What range of rpm can you get the tach to show? Pull the gear shifter down into the "1" or "2" position and drive around. If the tach hardly ever moves or moves WAY too much to be reasonable, then that'll be a start.

Barring that, provide some more details or even take a video while you drive and post it on youtube. Hard to diagnose some things without seeing it.

OP
OP
D

DangerGirl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ok, here are more details.....

It seems to be making two shifts....1 to 2 and 2 to 3 and then nothing. Then it just doesn't shift. The faster I go, the higher the RPMs go. It doesn't seem to be shifting any harder than normal.

When changing the transmission fluid there were no big hunks of metal, the fluid itself was quite yucky and old but only little tiny metal bits.

Correction: When driving at 60 MPH it is about 3500 RPM....I may have exaggerated the 6-7RPM....sorry about that....I am such a girl!!!

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

It seems to be making two shifts....1 to 2 and 2 to 3 and then nothing. Then it just doesn't shift. The faster I go, the higher the RPMs go. It doesn't seem to be shifting any harder than normal.

When changing the transmission fluid there were no big hunks of metal, the fluid itself was quite yucky and old but only little tiny metal bits.

Correction: When driving at 60 MPH it is about 3500 RPM....I may have exaggerated the 6-7RPM....sorry about that....I am such a girl!!!

Gordy

Full Access Member
Reaction score

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:01 PM ----------

So the trans is not shifting into overdrive. May be just electrical. Jay will have an answer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LauraDG