Changing Rims on a Hybrid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greetings,

As I mentioned in my intro thread I recently purchased a low mileage 2009 Tahoe Hybrid. Keeping in mind it is my first Tahoe and that I am automobilistically (tm pending) :) challenged, I have several questions regarding making changes to the vehicle in order to personalize it. Any input and/or advice would be greatly appreciated.

The main source of my vexation is the tiny wheels this beast is currently equipped with. They're light and great for mileage purposes but are unacceptable in every possible aesthetic regard. So I was thinking of upgrading to the following Chevy/GM oem 22s:

76b373e8a6.jpg

The are one of "the crown jewels" rims that come as an option with LTZs and I would purchase them with the manufacturer recommended tires.

Now, as I understand it there's no issue with the tpm system as these are compatible ... but my question is, does anyone know of a valid reason (other than looks) NOT to install these wheels on my truck?

That is to say, would for example bigger wheels have a negative mechanical impact on the hybrid/two mode system?

Also, would installing these negate the manufacturer's warranty?

My apologies for what are likely very basic questions, but I'd like to improve the look of my Tahoe without damage to the engine.

Thanks in advance for any help. :up:

Cheers!

- soulsea

stevek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean I could see that in the aspect of regenerative braking, but I'm not smart when it comes to hybrids

Grocery Getter

A guy with a truck.
Reaction score
It is my understanding changing the wheels will void the warranty, or at least that is what a salesman told me once. The electric motor is calibrated to
Work on the vehicle as is....... The guy went as far to say the warranty could potentially be voided for something as simple as a changing the grille.... He said if the electric motor went out and you have messed with anything at all it may not get covered. This was about 3yrs ago. If the truck didn't come with 22's the change could effect how the systems work for sure........

Again..... Just what I was told once I have no first hand knowledge....

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i did a google search and it showed a thread on a hybrid site. No one could give a specific answer, it was all speculation. I cannot imagine GM voiding the warranty on a vehicle when they used GM recommended wheels and tires, just my $.02. As long as the tire height was the same, I'd assume it'd work, but then again, i know zero about hybrids. I know the rotational mass would be different, so maybe that would pose an issue?

I can see their argument for some 24" Chrome chinese wheels, but not sure what their argument would be if utilizing GM branded parts.

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i did a google search and it showed a thread on a hybrid site. No one could give a specific answer, it was all speculation.

Yup yup ... this has also been my experience. I even asked a service rep at a local dealer and his exact answer was "it shouldn't be an issue." Neither his comment nor his tone was very convincing ... hopefully I will be able to solicit a definitive answer through GM customer service.

If it does turn out that I can, I will pm you about your pending sale.

Cheers!

- soulsea

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds good, look forward to hearing about this issue and a confirmed source. make sure you get something from them in writing, lol, or atleast an operator ID to note the conversation. :shake:

---------- Post added at 11:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

know what i just noticed... hybrid escalades have the OEM 22s on them just like the gas escalades... :hmm:

OP
OP
soulsea

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
know what i just noticed... hybrid escalades have the OEM 22s on them just like the gas escalades... :hmm:

That is an excellent observation ... I didn't even think to look.

Ok so I will mention this fact to GM when I call them and will let you know. Seems reasonable to assume that I should be good to go.

Thanks so much ScSS.

Cheers!

- soulsea

ETA: I just checked and the Yukon Denali H also has 22s ... :)

Last edited:

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
haha, please keep us informed. This looks like one of those unanswered questions that might finally get resolution!

Grocery Getter

A guy with a truck.
Reaction score
I tbought they had 22's stock but wasn't sure..... I thought you were looking into aftermarket wheels..... even if the size is the same a difference in weight could ecfect the electric motor/trans thingy... I'm not saying I think it's all legit but I'd bet $$ that if you modded a hybrid at all and the electric motor had issues, related or unrelated, the stealership is gonna use it as an excuse not to cover repairs......also if your rig came with 18/20" wheels there may be some recalibration that needs to be done to put on the GM 22's but the dealership would peobabaly do it..... Changing the weight, tire size, aerodynamics of the vehichle could hypothetically effect the hybrid system and that is why I was told any mofs at all COULD void the warranty. It makes sense, it suck....... But it makes sense........I mean why would the guy tell me that when he was trying to sell me on it if it wasn't somewhat true??? then again he could have just been trying to move the used rigs with upgraded wheels when I mentioned I wanted 22's.......hahaaaaaahaas

Let us know what u find out. Ive been thinking about the hybrids but not unless I can mod it..... but then again I already get 16/17 city and 20/21 highway...........

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
intresting points Justin, however, just FYI, salesmen don't know shit. The last salesman I dealt with didn't know the difference between a 4L80 and 4L60. :nono:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
madmax442