Water stuck in door panel? 2014 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scrappycrow

Reaction score
So Doors are Designed to Fill Up With Water?
Do these Vehicles come with Marine Speakers in them?
Why would GM Design to Allow Water inside of the Doors?
No, of course they're not "designed to" fill up with water.

No, the speakers are not marine-grade.

This isn't a situation of GM "allowing" this to happen -- window seals aren't perfect, so water gets in. Thus, the doors are designed to drain any water that get past the window seals. Every car ever made that I know of has drains at the bottom of the door to allow water out, they just get clogged once in a while due to dust and debris.

Last edited:

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Is there any possibility that the waterproof membrane under the door panel is allowing suction to hold the water in?

When it rains a dirty weather strip can become an air stop against the glass and create a suction barrier. The more water that collects at the bottom of the door, the higher the suction holding the water in.

Potentially. cutting a few slats at the top of the membrane would allow pressure to equalize and let the water out.

It’s a big maybe but you never know.

I had the same on my 2014 PPV. I pulled the weatherproofing strip off the bottom of the doors and the water poured out.

Reaction score
Plus that membrane/plastic isn't sealed that well. There are cutouts/flaps/X's in it to allow the various rods/harnesses/levers through.

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an issue with water in the d/s door on the Yukon and the cause ended up being a missing seal/gasket on the rear view mirror. Installed new gasket and all good since.

1000004349.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
That is solid info to know. The stuff that a shoddy repair shop can do to your vehicle that’s worse than a never ending haunt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paulgeyer

Latest posts