Upgrade package - exhaust/suspension/wheels

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The mpvi3 from HP tuners is $400. The license for my 08 hoe was $100 (different for each generation). I not only shut off AFM but can modify hundreds of other settings for less than this waste of money.

Yes absolutely; HP Tuners has infinite more capability, adjustments, and customization over the Pulsar LT device and is a great tool to tune vehicles with.

However, there is a learning curve to HP Tuners and if you don't spend some time educating yourself and understanding the impacts of the adjustments/changes you're making with HP Tuners it is possible to cause harm or damage to the drivetrain.

Given the context of the OP's post the initial concern was would it be required or possible to adjust the speedometer due to a change in wheel and tire size. OP seems to be interested in GM Factory type parts and upgrades referencing GM Part numbers and other factory options. There is also no mention of AFM or disabling it by the OP. I in no way gathered that he's interested in going down the "learn how to tune my own vehicle with HP Tuners software" rabbit hole; But yes you can use HP Tuners to adjust the speedometer for different size tires.

OP
OP
D

Danneman

Reaction score
Yes absolutely; HP Tuners has infinite more capability, adjustments, and customization over the Pulsar LT device and is a great tool to tune vehicles with.

However, there is a learning curve to HP Tuners and if you don't spend some time educating yourself and understanding the impacts of the adjustments/changes you're making with HP Tuners it is possible to cause harm or damage to the drivetrain.

Given the context of the OP's post the initial concern was would it be required or possible to adjust the speedometer due to a change in wheel and tire size. OP seems to be interested in GM Factory type parts and upgrades referencing GM Part numbers and other factory options. There is also no mention of AFM or disabling it by the OP. I in no way gathered that he's interested in going down the "learn how to tune my own vehicle with HP Tuners software" rabbit hole; But yes you can use HP Tuners to adjust the speedometer for different size tires.
You got it, bud - thank you. For a toy car or my shifter kart, I don’t mind learning how to do things and inevitably messing up in the process - but my daily driver has a family job to do and it’s a zero fail mission, no time for me to work my way up the curve.

The shop foreman at my dealer said that he believes there’s something in this year Tahoe that allows for easy adjustments, but not all models had it - so was wondering if that resonated with anyone. If it’s isn’t an adjustment he can/will make as a GM dealer mechanic, then I don’t want it for this vehicle.

By the way Matt Head was amazing to work with on my fog lamp harness, got his name from this forum. I have an email out to him to see if he knows anything about the MRC harness.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The GM exhaust is made by Borla, so the quality is good. I prefer the sound of Corsa but if you like the Borla sound, go for it. Sure, you can go to an exhaust shop and have something welded in but you’re very limited for options, won’t be able to hear it first, and it’s usually a low quality muffler. With a cat back, you’re paying for an all stainless steel construction and the tip(s) are generally much higher quality. You can also install a cat back yourself.

Get Fox coilovers (they come setup for an 2” lift but can be set to stock ride height) and the matching rear shock, that will ride better than MagRide could ever hope to.

The stock 275/55/20 and 285/45/22 are so close in overall diameter that I wouldn’t worry about the speedometer, it’ll be 1-2 MPH off at the most.

OP
OP
D

Danneman

Reaction score
The GM exhaust is made by Borla, so the quality is good. I prefer the sound of Corsa but if you like the Borla sound, go for it. Sure, you can go to an exhaust shop and have something welded in but you’re very limited for options, won’t be able to hear it first, and it’s usually a low quality muffler. With a cat back, you’re paying for an all stainless steel construction and the tip(s) are generally much higher quality. You can also install a cat back yourself.

Get Fox coilovers (they come setup for an 2” lift but can be set to stock ride height) and the matching rear shock, that will ride better than MagRide could ever hope to.

The stock 275/55/20 and 285/45/22 are so close in overall diameter that I wouldn’t worry about the speedometer, it’ll be 1-2 MPH off at the most.
Thank you much. Do you have a part or model number for the coil overs you mentioned?

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out shocksurplus.com. They also have their own reviews on a bunch of the stuff. Also check out magdelete.com, they have some great complete kits. You might be able to contact them and buy without the defeat device and save money since you wouldn’t need it. I suggest them also because they have a bolt in kit for the Bilstein 5100, which is another great option.

OP
OP
D

Danneman

Reaction score
Check out shocksurplus.com. They also have their own reviews on a bunch of the stuff. Also check out magdelete.com, they have some great complete kits. You might be able to contact them and buy without the defeat device and save money since you wouldn’t need it. I suggest them also because they have a bolt in kit for the Bilstein 5100, which is another great option.
Thanks!

RobH

Reaction score
. . .

What 91RS ^^^ said. When most people think about wheel size and/or tire size they are thinking about something like 275/55/20 or 285/45/22.

What is pertinent for the speedometer is the over all circumference of the wheel/tire combination rolling down the street. The circumference (distance around the tire tread) is Pi X diameter.

So the overall diameter of the wheel/tire combination is what affects the speedometer. You can use the calculator in the upper left corner of the website link below to determine tire size characteristics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmily8474

Latest posts