Timing Chain Cover Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gms1987

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I'll be replacing a leaking timing chain cover on my 07 Yukon Denali with 200k miles. Below are a list of parts I'll be replacing. Since I'll have the cover off, would you let me know any others that'd be wise to replace?

Timing cam sprocket, chain, lower sprocket, tensioner, oil pump, timing chain cover

Also, will I need to prime the oil pump and will I need the special tool to center the timing chain cover?

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I'll be replacing a leaking timing chain cover on my 07 Yukon Denali with 200k miles. Below are a list of parts I'll be replacing. Since I'll have the cover off, would you let me know any others that'd be wise to replace?

Timing cam sprocket, chain, lower sprocket, tensioner, oil pump, timing chain cover

Also, will I need to prime the oil pump and will I need the special tool to center the timing chain cover?

If I were in your shoes, I would let sleeping dogs lie and just replace the leaking seal and maybe the VVT solenoid but *do* inspect the timing chain tensioner while you're in there for any wear or cracks in the plastic guides. If you have to change it though, you're gonna have to drop the oil pan to get enough clearance to remove the oil pump.

You won't need to prime the oil pump if you just change the seal.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ceegarz