Stuck in 4WD. Any help?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheEnder53

Reaction score
It rained her last week pretty bad and i had my Tahoe in Auto 4WD as it lacks Traction Control.

It locked the front wheels, and then never unlocked them. I got a service 4wd light on the dash and it will not go into 2HI. It just stays in 4HI.

The lights sometimes dim themselves down to nothing and occasionally pressing the buttons does nothing. When i press it into 2hi i hear something under the vehicle that buzzes twice and then stops. Like it’s trying to engage but can’t.

Current codes are B2725 and C0324. From what i understand these are codes for both the encoder motor and the dash actuator. Any help?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my Sierra it was the encoder motor. Have you tried disconnecting the battery?

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never tried this myself, but I think you should be able to remove the encoder motor and rotate the splined shaft with some channel lock pliers. I've read folks have done that before.

If the encoder motor is okay, there's a little black reluctor wheel that called something like "range switch" or something like that. It's like $20. That went bad on my 04 suburban.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
C0324 is your tattletale. This code means your lock solenoid in your encoder motor is short to ground. This solenoid is ground seeking to lock and since its shorted it is locked all the time keeping your encoder motor from shifting to a different gear in your Tcase. You can remove the encoder motor and manually shift it into 2wd and leave the encoder off until you get a new one.

OP
OP
T

TheEnder53

Reaction score
C0324 is your tattletale. This code means your lock solenoid in your encoder motor is short to ground. This solenoid is ground seeking to lock and since its shorted it is locked all the time keeping your encoder motor from shifting to a different gear in your Tcase. You can remove the encoder motor and manually shift it into 2wd and leave the encoder off until you get a new one.
Literally do not get any notifications for this thread or i would’ve responded sooner, lol.

Thank you. Which way should i turn it for 2HI?

OP
OP
T

TheEnder53

Reaction score
Got new Encoder motor today.

Tried to install it. Would not like up at all no matter what position i tried to connect it with.

Thought it was because its in 4wd hi, and tried to move the switch on the TC but i don’t know where neutral is. Hooked up the motor to the truck with it off the TC and attempted to shift it, only to be met with the exact same sound and symptoms my old encoder had. Did not move out of the position it was in and set C0324 with a new motor.

What next? I am driving it in manual 2wd and will probably return the new encoder. I recently fixed the drivers side ground and this issue didn’t get bad till i cleaned that ground.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got new Encoder motor today.

Tried to install it. Would not like up at all no matter what position i tried to connect it with.

Thought it was because its in 4wd hi, and tried to move the switch on the TC but i don’t know where neutral is. Hooked up the motor to the truck with it off the TC and attempted to shift it, only to be met with the exact same sound and symptoms my old encoder had. Did not move out of the position it was in and set C0324 with a new motor.

What next? I am driving it in manual 2wd and will probably return the new encoder. I recently fixed the drivers side ground and this issue didn’t get bad till i cleaned that ground.
Was the sound coming from your encoder motor or Tcase? Installation of encoder motor is hook wiring harness to it while it is OFF of the Tcase. Push Auto4wd or 2wd or 4hi and then manually put Tcase into that gear then attach encoder motor.

OP
OP
T

TheEnder53

Reaction score
Was the sound coming from your encoder motor or Tcase? Installation of encoder motor is hook wiring harness to it while it is OFF of the Tcase. Push Auto4wd or 2wd or 4hi and then manually put Tcase into that gear then attach encoder motor.
Sounded like it was coming from the encoder motor. 2 distinct fluorescent light type buzzing.

Encoder was off the transfer case and not installed as i couldn’t get it aligned.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounded like it was coming from the encoder motor. 2 distinct fluorescent light type buzzing.

Encoder was off the transfer case and not installed as i couldn’t get it aligned.
It is suppose to sound like a buzzing when it is engaged and rotating. You have to have your Tcase physically shifted at is shit shaft to the same gear that you commanded the encoder motor to for everything to align correctly and bolt up to the Tcase mounts. Verify that you have the correct encoder motor by its female coupler shape being the same shape as the shaft on the Tcase. There are a couple different version that arent interchangeable.

OP
OP
T

TheEnder53

Reaction score
It is suppose to sound like a buzzing when it is engaged and rotating. You have to have your Tcase physically shifted at is shit shaft to the same gear that you commanded the encoder motor to for everything to align correctly and bolt up to the Tcase mounts. Verify that you have the correct encoder motor by its female coupler shape being the same shape as the shaft on the Tcase. There are a couple different version that arent interchangeable.
It is the same shape. The issue is that the encoder motor makes the same sound as the old one, and doesn’t change positions when i try to select it via the dash selector, and the vehicle will only shift into 4lo/4hi with a crescent wrench.

Thing that stumps me is that both old and new encoders were at the same location of the female end of the shift shaft on the encoder. Yet I now cannot get either back on with the TC in the original position (4HI). So I am a bit stumped with that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leschew