How to Service a 700r4(4L60) Transmission.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crmzendrgone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First you'll need a couple of tools and some parts.
  • 1/2 inch socket on 3/8 drive and wrench
  • drain pan
  • Dexron/Mercron AT fluid (5-6qts depends if you had a leak like I did)
  • 700r4 filter gasket kit

This are all the parts I will be using. I am also doing an oil change but I think everyone knows how to do that.
mwz2wh.jpg
Close up on the parts.
xlfosy.jpg
20iidfp.jpg
2j0atrd.jpg
2vnnlu8.jpg
This helps to have also
148lzyh.jpg
More helpful information
2z7ewsn.jpg
100_4532.jpg
100_4533.jpg

So with the Trans. warm. Place the drain pan underneath the Trans. Take your 1/2" socket with wrench and loosen the rear bolts of the pan first, again loosen. Then work your way forward. As you begin to loosen the remaining bolts, the fluid will start to spill out if you have down this right it should spill out at the rear first.

When enough fluid has spilled out you can then proceed to remove all the Trans. pan bolts. With a rag or appropriate substitute hold the pan until all bolts are removed then let the remaining fluid drain out of the pan.

You then need to clean off the old gasket and clean the mating surfaces on the pan as well as on the case. You can need to use a plastic scraper or equivalent on the case do to it being aluminum and you do not want to gouge the case using a metal scrapper.

To clean the pan I used this nifty tool.
k3rnzd.jpg
Once the pan has been cleaned(using either carburetor clean, brake clean or gasoline what ever is handy at the time. You can also use oven cleaner that works GOOD) Make sure you CLEAN THE MAGNET!
100_4535.jpg
100_4534.jpg

Now for the pesky filter. The filter should pull right out in a downward direction. Most likely the gasket will stay in the case. That in the past has been an issue for me to remove for lack of tools. But thanks to being a mechanic in my past(not to distant past) I now have the proper tools such as a pick tool. Take the pick tool and ever so slightly apply pressure in a downward direction trying NOT TO GOUGE THE BORE!!! once remove inspect to make sure no gouging accord.
New one
100_4537.jpg
Old One
100_4546.jpg
Bore. You can see the old gasket still in the bore.
100_4541.jpg
100_4542.jpg
100_4545.jpg
100_4547.gif
Now take pan bolts and give them a little bath in cleaner/gasoline which ever. I like to do this to get the threads nice and clean so it will be easier to install them later. Remember cleanliness is next to Godliness.

Ok to install the filter just place neck into bore and give a gentle tap upward to seat the gasket.

Now grab the pan and the pan gasket place pan on Trans. case install a few bolts to hold it in place then install the remaining bolts, HAND TIGHT. Then torque the bolts to 108 inch pounds or 9 foot pounds. If you have a foot pound torque wrench that goes from 0-whatever then good. I do not so I used my inch pound wrench. Go back over the bolts to insure they are all at 108"lbs. As you tighten the remaining bolts the ones you started with become loose as the pan gasket gets "crushed" so just make sure they are all at the right torque when completely finished.

Pics in a moment. . . . . . . .

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imterarizer