Cruise control not working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MooseBrook

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I purchased a 2011 Yukon Denali back in January and have been reading on this forum pretty much since then. I appreciate all the knowledge and information that has been posted on here. I've been picking away at a few issues with the truck but I'm stuck on this one. I've read about every thread I could find on cruise control issues but I haven't found with my exact symptoms yet and I'd just like to check on here before I start throwing parts at the problem.

The cruise hasn't worked since i bought the Yukon. The amber light on the steering wheel turns on and off when you push the button but i get nothing when i push the set button. No light in the dash. I thought I would try the brake light switch first since that seemed to be the most popular culprit and the cheapest part but, I picked one up at Orielly's and that didn't work at all. As soon as it was installed the brake lights were on all the time and the shifter was free even without touching the pedal. Afterwards I continued reading that it wasn't worth using an aftermarket switch and that it should be replaced with OEM which i haven't done yet. I tested the original switch with a meter and it appears to be working correctly so I reinstalled that. At this point I went to the scan tool and with my limited knowledge of how to use that I think i have narrowed the problem back to that switch but wanted to see if anyone could confirm that. From what I can see when looking into the BCM, it is registering the steering wheel switch correctly. It reads it turning on and off as I push the button. When I look at the brake pedal it shows me two functions, "stop lamp relay command" and "stop lamp switch status" that both show "off" when the brake pedal is not applied. When I push in the brake pedal only the "stop lamp relay command" shows an "on" value. I believe this is telling me that the BCM is not getting the correct signal from that switch but I'm unsure. It seems as though if the bcm was reading the pedal as off that it wouldn't interfere with cruise functions but anything could be possible.

I should mention that the vehicle is all stock except a leveling kit and rims with no active or stored codes.

Any help is greatly apprectiated!

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a new factory switch and see. If you have an IPhone with the CarScanner app, you can pull the internal BCM codes with an OBDII adapter. Otherwise you need a more advanced bi-directional scan tool.

Haven't had my coffee yet, so my brain can't make sense of the command and status stuff.

Chevymec

Reaction score
I have not had good luck with the aftermarket ones. GM only. The way I test the switch and to tap the pedal when the cruise doesn't work and 99% of the time the cruise will come back on. No scanner needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
07blackhoe

Latest posts