Removing '09 Tahoe side molding... Easy to NOT destroy it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I picked up some Escalade molding for my '09 Tahoe. I need to remove my stock molding (it's the new chrome-on-top, body-color-on-bottom integrated molding), and I can either do it myself, or have my local body guy do it.

If I do it myself via the fishing line sawing action, can I remove it without wrinkling/bending the molding? Or, by nature of the removal, does the molding get warped/bent coming off? It just doesn't look like it would have the rigidity of the Escalade molding -- but I'd like to salvage it.

Also, do you know if the chrome part comes off separately from the bottom part?

Thanks!

/< / /2 /<

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Yeah it shouldn't be hard to get off, the fish line idea is good just use some gloves to protect your fingers.
Also use some Goo-gone to get the molding glue off.
Then reapply your Esky molding in the same spot the Tahoe molding was.
And yeah the 09 Thaoe chrome peice is seperate from the other painted molding!

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah it shouldn't be hard to get off, the fish line idea is good just use some gloves to protect your fingers.
Also use some Goo-gone to get the molding glue off.
Then reapply your Esky molding in the same spot the Tahoe molding was.
And yeah the 09 Thaoe chrome peice is seperate from the other painted molding!

Yeah, I know it shouldn't be hard to get off -- just wondering if it'll be hard to get off without wrecking it. You saying that it'll come off without a problem, in good shape? Thanks!

Modded

That Guy
Reaction score
Yeah it will come off in good shape, the next owners of them will have to re- apply some 3M tape to it though!

Conor

"Bob's your Uncle"
Reaction score
If you use a heat gun it will make your life MUCH easier. it helps loosen the glue and you really dont even need the fishing line.

OP
OP
KMeloney

KMeloney

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The heat gun won't ripple/pucker the finish of the molding? (Never used a heat gun, so I have no idea.)

Thanks..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmily8474

Latest posts