96 tahoe door lock and hatch short plz help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lou4LSU

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
im new here and cant figure out the search engine to find any related threads but im sure there out there. I just bought a 96 Tahoe LT 5.7 4 dr. 4x4. with 130k. ive been fixing small issues like the dome lights when I first got it they nor the map lights would work. replaced all the bulbs and they started working fine. then yesterday I put it in 4 hi and went across the field in light mud just to try it out make sure it worked and it did. heres where the short comes in. when I took it out of 4 hi and went to make a hard stop the dome lights came on and off. then when I gave it hard gas it did the same. just on hard accel and deccel. I could hear a relay clicking near the light switch. from what ive read theres a convenience center with relays there. well today it stopped shorting the lights but now the power locks switch on both doors don't work and the hatch wont work. it all worked before. but if you use the keyless entry it will lock and unlock. also noticed the DRL light on dash is now on when lights are off or on PRK lights(never came on before this) but goes off when headlights are on. ive checked both door ajar switches and they are fine. the guy put HID lights on it but the high beams are regular bulbs don't know if this would effect that. I know my way around the car and can follow wire diagrams but haven't bought a book yet and cant find what I need online so far. plz if anyone has had this problem or has any ideas im all ears.

Last edited:

sgtpoliteness

Reaction score
If you hear a clicking from the relay like that while you're jouncing the car it's probably a short somewhere. Most likely a bared wire. Find out what that relay powers, if you can. That'll lead to a fuse and that'll lead to your short.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
L

lou4LSU

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
that was my first thought too. but I literally idled through a wet field no bouncing at all. I put it into 2wd and went to back out my drive when I hit the brakes the lights came on just braking when I got into town it didn't do it braking anymore just on accel from a stop. now it don't do it at all but my rear hatch button wont work and the power lock buttons don't work and the DRL lights on the dash are on and never came on before. makes me think theres some kind of module or something that's controlling all this. the locks work if using the keyless entry remote.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paulgeyer

Latest posts