2008 tahoe 5.3l afm/dod delete issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, I see now many makers of intake manifold gaskets in that aluminum plate style..

Is this an optical illusion? The bearing center looks offset.

lifter.jpg

Last edited:

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do see some photos online where it looks off-center, it may just be a press mark that doesn't need to be centered? idk..

OP
OP
N

Nickct203

Reaction score
I do see some photos online where it looks off-center, it may just be a press mark that doesn't need to be centered? idk..
No clue but that was the first thing I saw after looking at the big piece missing. In person you can see that the metal is thicker on 1 side and thinner on the other. I'll see if I can get a better picture of it

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it was a new or used cam from the pics, but I'm definitely going to say it's shot now and needs replacing.

so my theory? this is a mechanic at a small shop that does a little bit of everything. your buddy didn't even order the kit himself, or if he did, it is a Amazon/ebay grade kit. (read China) i didn't know the standard lifters were that bad, but I've seen many threads about guys buying no name afm lifters sets, drop them in only to have to pull it all back apart again a few weeks later because it still wasn't right. seems the cheap China stuff just doesn't work.

Basically oem or millings is the only stock replacement parts for lifters and oil pumps. high end aftermarket is fine too, but you wouldn't put a set of Johnson lifters in a stock motor.

I've also seen where lifters are listed as ls7 lifters but aren't actually gm ls7. just ls7 style lifters and they forget that part in the title.

good luck.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No clue but that was the first thing I saw after looking at the big piece missing. In person you can see that the metal is thicker on 1 side and thinner on the other. I'll see if I can get a better picture of it
Probably two problems: 1/ Poor quality lifter. 2/ Poor quality lifter trays. I learned this lesson the hard way that the only trays that are safe to use are GM OEM. Here is what happened when I didn't use OEM trays:

1715608115649.png

And the machining quality on the barrel of the lifter you shared a photo of above is visually awful. Yep...cheap evilBay or Scamazon crap. Sorry that happened to you, man.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah, I see now many makers of intake manifold gaskets in that aluminum plate style..

Is this an optical illusion? The bearing center looks offset.

View attachment 428253

As @mikez71 said, it's just a mark from the press that isn't centered. I've never seen them centered. Also, I agree with @Geotrash on the machining of that lifter. I think poor quality parts were used. I can't say if that cam is new or not. If it's new but also a low-quality part, perhaps it has insufficient hardening on the lobes which resulted in premature wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
metal2forall